Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Ernie Kurtz <ku...@umich.edu> on 2013/02/24 20:31:06 UTC

Re: using tinyurl or is.gd

James and Jeffrey and Andrea, thank you!  I do appreciate the warnings.

Now a related question:  is it possible to corrupt an already tied URL?  I am working toward primarily print publication:  if I put a tinyurl or is.gd link in print, for the reader to key in, can it somehow be corrupted?  Even if there is an electronic version of what I write, can a link given in that format be corrupted?  I have been under the impression that malware lurked in URLs posted online.  Is that incorrect?

ernie kurtz

Re: using tinyurl or is.gd

Posted by Jeffrey Deutsch <jd...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 5:36 PM, Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org> wrote:
> The whole point about tinyurls being untrustworthy is that they hide the
> real url and you never know what you are actually clicking on.  Many
> unscrupulous people take advantage of that to send malicious links to all
> sorts of places and so now people are hesitant to click on such a link
> unless he knows and trusts the person who sent it.  Someone else pointed out
> that with is.gd it is possible to preview the site to see where you are
> going before actually following the link.  It has nothing to do with a link
> getting corrupted.
>
> Dale Erwin
> Jr. 28 de Julio 657, Depto. 03
> Magdalena del Mar, Lima 17 PERU
> http://leather.casaerwin.org

Hello Dale,

Yes, I posted earlier in detail on ways in which anyone can preview an
is.gd link. One way is putting a - right at the end for each link you
want to preview.

Andrew, very interesting point about finding out more from the long
URL. The preview page for a shortened URL should provide the long URL.
In any case, I see no harm from also providing the long URL as long as
it's crystal-clear that the two are equivalent.

Cheers,

Jeff Deutsch
Speaker & Life Coach
A SPLINT - ASPies LInking with NTs
http://www.asplint.com

Your mood can affect how you read this e-mail. Please read it with a smile.
(http://tonecheck.com)

Re: using tinyurl or is.gd

Posted by Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org>.

Re: using tinyurl or is.gd

Posted by Jeffrey Deutsch <jd...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Ernie Kurtz <ku...@umich.edu> wrote:
> Thanks, Jeff, you answered my question thoroughly:  is.gd URLs are trustworthy so long as the site to which they point is legitimate.  I assume the same is true for tinyurls, but with so many being warned about them, it would seem wiser not to use tinyurl (even though I prefer all lower case to is.gd's melange).  And from what the link you sent says, it seems wise to avoid .ly domains.  What is gd, by the way, Greenland?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> ernie

Hello Ernie,

The British ISP Memset founded and hosts is.gd (and v.gd) as a service
to the Internet, based on the British possession of Grenada. They
fully expect to be able to continue for a long time, and they make
clear that once a link is shortened that assignment is permanent.

Dennis, good points about security concerns. I posted previously about
how any viewer can preview an is.gd link.

Also, you're right about how shortened links can really help in print.

People have two reasons to give shortened links even online:

(1) Some people's email readers and browsers break very long URLs.
Technically, one can still copy and paste the full URL. In practice,
some just won't bother.

(2) Link shorteners -- including is.gd -- offer tracking mechanisms so
one can monitor, for example, just how many views the link has had,
when they took place, from what countries, using what browsers, what
sites referred them and the like.

Re: using tinyurl or is.gd

Posted by Ernie Kurtz <ku...@umich.edu>.

Re: using tinyurl or is.gd

Posted by Jeffrey Deutsch <jd...@gmail.com>.

Re: using tinyurl or is.gd

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
On 02/24/2013 02:31 PM, Ernie Kurtz wrote:
> I am working toward primarily print publication:

Although a "tiny" URL is easier to type, a longer usually URL provides
more information. If you use a tiny URL, I recommend that you find a way
to also include the full version. Then, those that are leery of tiny
URLs are happy, and, the user will know the site name (and similar)

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php

RE: using tinyurl or is.gd

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Someone can have a URL to a malicious site and use a URL shortener to
disguise that fact in the hope that folks can be duped into using it.

If you use the shortener *yourself* to create a shortened link to a URL that
you trust, the only problem is if

 1. The URL is reassigned.  This depends on how the shortener works and when
their database will have to start purging used assignments.

 2. The shortener system is hacked and the destination replaced.

 3. The destination itself is hacked and the destination is infected with
malicious content.  This is the same risk whether or not a shortener is
used.

If the shortener service is abandoned or goes down, the shortened URL can
become unusable.  Likewise if the destination goes down, is abandoned, or it
reorganizes its pages so that the particular URL now fails.

The biggest limitation of a shortened URL is inability to know the true
destination without accessing the shortener site somehow and inability to
know the correct destination if the shortened URL is not working.

My advice: Publish the full link that was known to work at the time of
publication.  A shortened URL could also be provided as a convenience for
users entering URLs from printed copy, but the full one is the authentic,
intended-to-be-persistent reference (along with other citation information
so that someone could track down any new location, if necessary).

 - Dennis