Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Sidhartha Jain <si...@rediffmail.com> on 2002/01/08 14:16:49 UTC

Generic JSP

Hi All,
I need to develop a Generic JSP using struts framework.I would explain you my problem.
We have few links on page that represents the Objects corresponding to which we already have some classes built.

We also have tables in the database corressponding to each and every class and columns in the table are same as the variables of the class.
For eg : We have an employee class with employee name, Employee number etc etc as fields so we have a
table also corresponding to that.

Now whenever anyone clicks on these objects link we need to create a JSP on fly taking out the variable names(same as column names in database) and their type .While displaying on the JSP we need to replace them by appropriate field labels (Might be stored in database or properties file which will also have priorties of displaying the field ) and also display text box etc etc according  field type and then also we should have some priorities like which field would come first and which field would come second on the page.

This way we create a generic JSP on fly and when you click on any object link u get a JSP with its respective fields wheer u type the data and press save and data is committed in the database.

I read in an article that this was a struts limitaion in Version 1.0 that it could not handle dynamic properties whether by database or properties file. the link for the article is http://www.zdnetindia.com/techzone/coding/stories/22419.html

So i just wanted to ask whether is this possible to achieve if yes how and if someone has done this sort of work and he could bail me out of this problem that would of great help.
Could anyone help me out with the solution to this problem.If someone needs some more information specific one about this please mail me I would write more on it.Hope I have explained it here.

Thanks
Sidh

RE: Generic JSP

Posted by Taylor Cowan <tc...@silverstream.com>.
You're going about this the hard way.  The solution involves XML and XSLT.
The XML can be produced on the fly, while the XSLT doc is static.

Taylor