Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ross Gardler <ro...@gardler.org> on 2005/10/14 10:54:33 UTC

Forrestbot for Cocoon

I want to set up a forrestbot for the Cocoon docs coming from Daisy.
Shall I just go ahead and do it?

The reason I ask is that David mentioned there are still a few scripts
to be brought across from his home directory. I don't expect adding a
new site will cause problems, but don't want to start on this task until
I am sure.

Ross

Re: Forrestbot for Cocoon

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
> >
> > I've stumbled a little because I needed to configure my zone account
> > first , done now.
>
> Please follow the instructions at
> http://forrest.apache.org/zone.html
>
> In particular, see the note that you must
> set your umask properly.
>
> At the moment, only you can update the files.
> In fact now i cannot do 'svn update'. Please do
> cd /var/apache2/htdocs; chmod -R g+w

I did that part as root.

-David

Re: Forrestbot for Cocoon

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:

> I've stumbled a little because I needed to configure my zone account
> first , done now.

Please follow the instructions at
http://forrest.apache.org/zone.html

In particular, see the note that you must
set your umask properly.

At the moment, only you can update the files.
In fact now i cannot do 'svn update'. Please do
cd /var/apache2/htdocs; chmod -R g+w

Looking at my setup might help. Not to say that
mine is fully correct, but might help.

-David

Re: Forrestbot for Cocoon

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:

> If you have the time and desire then you could do a test run in the zone
> (check my config first).

Okay it is happening automatically now.

I made a few changes. See my svn commit log messages.
Basically i removed the sources from the server and
made forrestbot get them from SVN. This keeps things
much cleaner on the server.

> The src files for the site are in the same
> location as the forrestbot config file. I figured this was OK because it
> is only a locationmap really.

And the configuration forrest.properties skinconf.xml

> If Cocoon want to continue to use Forrest
> then we can move the site config later.

Yes, good idea.

-David

Re: Forrestbot for Cocoon

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
>>Ross Gardler wrote:
>>
>>>I've stumbled a little because I needed to configure my zone account
>>>first , done now. (OT do you have write access to /etc/passwds? I want
>>>to set my default shell to bash)
>>
>>Yes, i can. However you need to logout before i can
>>use 'usermod'.
>

> Done now.

Thanks David, I accidentally left a terminal open overnight - not very
good for security!

Ross

Re: Forrestbot for Cocoon

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
> >
> > I've stumbled a little because I needed to configure my zone account
> > first , done now. (OT do you have write access to /etc/passwds? I want
> > to set my default shell to bash)
>
> Yes, i can. However you need to logout before i can
> use 'usermod'.

Done now.

-David

Re: Forrestbot for Cocoon

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:

> I've stumbled a little because I needed to configure my zone account
> first , done now. (OT do you have write access to /etc/passwds? I want
> to set my default shell to bash)

Yes, i can. However you need to logout before i can
use 'usermod'.

Sorry, i should have done that on setup and have done
so for the newer accounts. If anyone else needs such
changes, please ask.

-David

Re: Forrestbot for Cocoon

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:

> What can i do to help move this along?

I've built the config and tested locally. I know there are errors in the
build so I have set the nag mails to come to me for now.

I've updated SVN and done svn up in the zone. I just need to do a test
run there.

I've stumbled a little because I needed to configure my zone account
first , done now. (OT do you have write access to /etc/passwds? I want
to set my default shell to bash)

I'm going to bed now.

If you have the time and desire then you could do a test run in the zone
(check my config first). The src files for the site are in the same
location as the forrestbot config file. I figured this was OK because it
is only a locationmap really. If Cocoon want to continue to use Forrest
then we can move the site config later.

Thanks
Ross

Re: Forrestbot for Cocoon

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:

> What can i do to help move this along?

Ah, i hadn't read last night's svn log mailing list,
and thought that you were stalled.

-David

Re: Forrestbot for Cocoon

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: Forrestbot for Cocoon

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
>>Ross Gardler wrote:
>>
>>>I want to set up a forrestbot for the Cocoon docs coming from Daisy.
>>>Shall I just go ahead and do it?
>>>
>>>The reason I ask is that David mentioned there are still a few scripts
>>>to be brought across from his home directory. I don't expect adding a
>>>new site will cause problems, but don't want to start on this task until
>>>I am sure.
>>
>>It is just my crontab to be added now. You could
>>run it from your crontab to get you started.
>>Look at ~crossley/my-crontab.txt
>>
>>Just be aware that any changes you make on the server
>>will get blown away when i replace it with the content
>>of the new "zones" SVN. So make sure that you add any
>>changes to SVN too.
>

> All under SVN now. So you are safe to go ahead.
> I will be here tomorrow morning our time if you
> need help. After that i am away for the weekend.
>
> -David
>

>>Basically you need to copy htdocs/ft/forrest-seed.xml
>>and add a crontab entry for it.
>>
>>I hope (have not tested) that any standard site will
>>just run. If it needs special processing (like forrest-seed)
>>then add it to config/forrestbot-trunk/forrestbot.sh

That's brilliant David, thanks loads.

Ross

Re: Forrestbot for Cocoon

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.