Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by "peter.doornbosch" <pe...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/07 10:32:35 UTC

did 2.4 change the behaviour of "retrieve all embedded resources" option?

Hi,

I've been using JMeter 2.3.4 for quite some time. Recently, i installed a new performance test environment and installed JMeter 2.4. When i was analyzing the new test results (why the h*** is it so much slower than before?), i incidently discovered that the jtl files are more larger than before and that this was caused by the fact that all embedded resources were retrieved.

As it turns out, in my testscripts, there is a "HttpRequestDefaults" with the "retrieve embedded..." set to on. However, all individual HttpSamples have it "switched off", well ,that is, the check box is not checked there. Apparently, this leads to different behaviour in 2.3.4 vs 2.4: it seems that in 2.4 the default value set in the "HttpRequestDefaults" is not overridden by the HttpSamplers, not even by a second "HttpRequestDefaults" that is "lower" in the tree. Whereas it did in 2.3.4.

Is this a bug or a feature? ;-)

If this behaviour is intentionally changed, i suggest that it is documented in the release notes (with a few exclamation marks), as it can confuse JMeter users, if there tests "suddenly" run much slower.

Regards,
Peter.

Re: did 2.4 change the behaviour of "retrieve all embedded resources" option?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 7 April 2011 09:32, peter.doornbosch <pe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using JMeter 2.3.4 for quite some time. Recently, i installed a new performance test environment and installed JMeter 2.4. When i was analyzing the new test results (why the h*** is it so much slower than before?), i incidently discovered that the jtl files are more larger than before and that this was caused by the fact that all embedded resources were retrieved.
>
> As it turns out, in my testscripts, there is a "HttpRequestDefaults" with the "retrieve embedded..." set to on. However, all individual HttpSamples have it "switched off", well ,that is, the check box is not checked there. Apparently, this leads to different behaviour in 2.3.4 vs 2.4: it seems that in 2.4 the default value set in the "HttpRequestDefaults" is not overridden by the HttpSamplers, not even by a second "HttpRequestDefaults" that is "lower" in the tree. Whereas it did in 2.3.4.
>
> Is this a bug or a feature? ;-)

I just created a test in 2.3.4 and the request defaults setting is
used by the sampler, as it is with 2.4.

I suspect the behavioural change is because you have more than one
request default in the test plan; 2.4 did change how multiple defaults
are handled.

For all the request default fields, there's no way to "reset" the
value in the sampler - if the sampler field is empty, then the default
(if any) is used.

> If this behaviour is intentionally changed, i suggest that it is documented in the release notes (with a few exclamation marks), as it can confuse JMeter users, if there tests "suddenly" run much slower.

Yes, it does need documenting, but not quite as you suggest.