Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by TR...@aol.com on 2016/11/15 14:51:04 UTC

OpenOffice 4.1.2 stopped working

I am a beginner at computers and 75 years old. I've been using the Open
Office 4.1.2 for about a year and all of a sudden it will not open. Do I have
to  subscribe again for this program, it came with the computer. I like the
program  for the easiness to use.
 I use the fact sheet to keep my vitals so my doctor can determine if  I
need to change any medicines I take.
 Microsoft is offering a similar program but I'd like to keep  yours.
 I appreciate any help you can give me.Tim Jones  trjnjj@aol.com

Re: OpenOffice 4.1.2 stopped working

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 09:51:04 -0500
TRJNJJ@aol.com wrote:

> I am a beginner at computers and 75 years old. I've been using the Open
> Office 4.1.2 for about a year and all of a sudden it will not open. Do I have
> to  subscribe again for this program, it came with the computer. I like the
> program  for the easiness to use.
>  I use the fact sheet to keep my vitals so my doctor can determine if  I
> need to change any medicines I take.
>  Microsoft is offering a similar program but I'd like to keep  yours.
>  I appreciate any help you can give me.Tim Jones  trjnjj@aol.com

There is no time limit on the program and no need to subscribe/resubscribe as the program is free.  Most likely your computer closed abnormally (crashed) and there are left-over elements of the program running, which prevent it starting correctly.  If you are using Windows, start TaskManager (Ctrl Shift Esc) and kill any "soffice" processes shown running on TaskManager's Processes tab (Details tab if Win 10).  Note these are called "soffice" with an initial "s".

When these are deleted OpenOffice should start up correctly.

The latest version (4.1.3) can be downloaded free of charge from
download.openoffice.org
From this site you will be redirected to a nearby SourceForge server and your download will start automatically in about five seconds.  However, an install of the old or new version will not clear the above problem if that is preventing OO starting, so you should use TaskManager first.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>