Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Paul Hammant <pa...@yahoo.com> on 2001/09/01 14:40:56 UTC

HypersonicSQL

Hi,

I have written a service/block that wraps HypersonicSQL (BSD license).  I had to modify hsql to
allow interoperation with serving frameworks like Avalon (The server they have written is locked
to main(Sting[] args) )

It all works fine and uses connection manager, socket manager etc.  Works fine, that is, in so far
as I have modified build.xml of cornerstone to make a demo sar that does nothing other than server
a JDBC service.  It's tested by hypersonic's own DatabaseManager (AWT gui).

I guess it will be a couple of days before I book it in to allow the hsql people to apply my diffs
to their tree and publish a new jar.

Of course, that jar is *not* going to be booked into our CVS.  All the usual failsafe compilation
and jar building steps will be taken to allow people to build cornerstone without caring about
hsql.
Fingers crossed that the hsql people like the changes I have made.

Regards,

- Paul H

Re: HypersonicSQL

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter,

>>I have written a service/block that wraps HypersonicSQL (BSD license).  I
>>had to modify hsql to allow interoperation with serving frameworks like
>>Avalon (The server they have written is locked to main(Sting[] args) )
>>

>you have been busy of late eh ? ;)

I am unemployed Peter, and giving a little back.  London based for for
those that might have development positions available and are in my
vicinity.

>>I guess it will be a couple of days before I book it in to allow the hsql
>>people to apply my diffs to their tree and publish a new jar.
>>
>>Of course, that jar is *not* going to be booked into our CVS.
>>

>It may be useful to book it in ... depending on how accessible hsql is from
>Avalon (ie can we set up all config values from config.xml???). As it is
>BSDed there should be no problem booking it in or distributing it (Well
>besides jars in CVS is evil ;]).

You can set the port it serves from and  the name of the database to
create/load.  All other settings are, naturely enough, maintaned through
it's JDBC interface.  As is normal with blocks, there scope for serving
multiple instances and hence serving multiple databases (different
ports).  Rana's FtpServer could use it for User Management when pluggable.

>If/when you do add it in I would encourage you to encourage the hsql guys to
>allow Sam Ruby to hook it into gump (or if that a nogo then provide Sam with
>a suitable jar). It would be even more helpful to send Sam diffs to the
>Avalon files to get this going (look in
>jakarta-alexandria/proposal/gump/projects/jakarta-avalon-cornerstone.xml) ;)

That's a cool idea.  Their build.xml file is very basic, and there is
some room for improvement.  Gump would be a cool way to maintain
compatability.  Let's see how well we do getting their agreement for thr
change per se, before diving in there with other suggestions.

Regards,

- Paul H

Re: HypersonicSQL

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 22:40, Paul Hammant wrote:
> I have written a service/block that wraps HypersonicSQL (BSD license).  I
> had to modify hsql to allow interoperation with serving frameworks like
> Avalon (The server they have written is locked to main(Sting[] args) )

you have been busy of late eh ? ;)

> It all works fine and uses connection manager, socket manager etc.  Works
> fine, that is, in so far as I have modified build.xml of cornerstone to
> make a demo sar that does nothing other than server a JDBC service.  It's
> tested by hypersonic's own DatabaseManager (AWT gui).

sounds good.

--
Cheers,

Pete