Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Jaladurgam, Ramana" <Ra...@pearson.com> on 2003/05/03 00:50:56 UTC

Blurred PNG images

Hello Group,
  I am converting SVG to PNG format. But the resultant PNG file is very
blurred, especially the text content.
  Any ideas or suggestions?

Regards,
Ramana.JV.

RE: Blurred PNG images

Posted by Thomas E Deweese <th...@kodak.com>.

JR> Hello Group, I am converting SVG to PNG format. But the resultant
JR> PNG file is very blurred, especially the text content.  Any ideas
JR> or suggestions?

    I suspect what you are calling blurring is what is known as
anti-aliasing.  If you set the shape-rendering hint to 'crispEdges'
you will get non-anti-aliased rendering.  However for text at small
point sizes this is usually worse than the anti-aliased rendering.

    Typically for small font-sizes rendering engines either use bitmap
versions of fonts - obviously not possible for SVG - or font hinting
where the outlines of the font are tweaked to lie on pixels - Batik
does not currently support font hinting (it would be very tricky to
support given the complexity of SVG text).

    If suspect that this is not the issue (I'm 99.9% sure it is) you
might send a small sample PNG.