Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by W A R P I G <wa...@dockmaster.mcbrides.cc> on 2000/05/08 20:06:43 UTC

Number of concurrent running processes..

Upon execution, tomcat starts up 14 java processes:

/usr/local/lib/jre1.2.2/bin/i386/native_threads/java
-Dtomcat.home=./.. org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat

How do I control the number of instances?  This is a small development
machine.

I am running apache 1.3.12 and tomcat 3.1.

Thanks for your time.

frank

Re: Number of concurrent running processes..

Posted by Craig McClanahan <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
W A R P I G wrote:

> Upon execution, tomcat starts up 14 java processes:
>
> /usr/local/lib/jre1.2.2/bin/i386/native_threads/java
> -Dtomcat.home=./.. org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat
>
> How do I control the number of instances?  This is a small development
> machine.
>
> I am running apache 1.3.12 and tomcat 3.1.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> frank

Using LInux, I presume?

If so, the "ps" command lies to you -- it shows each thread as a process
(when using native threads).  They all share the same memory space, and are
really the same process -- it just doesn't look that way.  The number of
threads in Tomcat is influenced by several things, but mostly by how the
Connector is configured, and how many simultaneous requests your server has
handled.

By the way, if you're going to be using JSP pages you'll want to use a JDK
rather than a JRE, or download some other Java compiler (such as Jikes) that
can be used to compile the JSP pages.

Craig McClanahan