Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2018/01/31 13:06:51 UTC

[DISCUSS] Migrating project website content to markdown (2nd attempt)

Folks

We have a dubious honor of having absolutely the most hideous project
web site in existence. It makes my eyes bleed every time I have to
update it. It is simply horrible.

I would like to migrate project website sources from Maven apt and xdoc
 to markdown format and switch to using either jekyll or hugo site
generator to render markdown to html.

1. Does anyone have conceptual objections to using markdown?

2. Does anyone have any preference with regards to static site
generators?

Jekyll appears to be the tool of choice for many ASF projects. I
personally tend to lean toward Hugo more.

Please let me know what you think.

Oleg

Re: [DISCUSS] Migrating project website content to markdown (2nd attempt)

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2018-02-06 at 19:46 +0100, Michael Osipov wrote:
> Am 2018-02-06 um 19:39 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
> > On Tue, 2018-02-06 at 16:45 +0000, sebb wrote:
> > > On 6 February 2018 at 14:31, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>

> > > That tone is not helpful.
> > >

> > I can say exactly likewise. Saying that everything is just fine
> > when
> > someone else has to do all the heavy lifting is not helpful and
> > goes
> > counter to the very principles of this organization.
>
> Please look what Hervé Boutemy has done to the Maven site. All
> source,
> apt, xdoc, md, can be forked and edited on GitHub. This might be a
> solution to go for. Just drop him some lines.

Here we go again. I need to drop him a line and ask what exactly? Fix
maven site plugin bloody mess for us? If you are not willing to invest
a minute of your own time how could you possibly expect me to do so?

Besides, I do not see Github doing inside rendering for apt and xdoc
like it can do for markdown.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2018-02-06 um 19:39 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
> On Tue, 2018-02-06 at 16:45 +0000, sebb wrote:
>> On 6 February 2018 at 14:31, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>

>>> So, we have made a full circle here: I am aware that we should
>>> preserve
>>> links, eat healthy, be polite, and stay away from those girls.
>>
>> That tone is not helpful.
>>

> I can say exactly likewise. Saying that everything is just fine when
> someone else has to do all the heavy lifting is not helpful and goes
> counter to the very principles of this organization.

Please look what Hervé Boutemy has done to the Maven site. All source,
apt, xdoc, md, can be forked and edited on GitHub. This might be a
solution to go for. Just drop him some lines.

Michael

Re: [DISCUSS] Migrating project website content to markdown (2nd attempt)

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 6 February 2018 at 14:31, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2018-02-06 at 09:55 +0000, sebb wrote:
>> On 4 February 2018 at 11:49, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
>> wrote:

>> > Why are we using it as a content generation tool I am wondering?
>>
>> We are not; we are using editors etc.
>>
>> Maven is used to generate the presentation of the content as a
>> website
>> or a PDF or whatever.
>>

> You are confusing content generation with content authoring.

To my mind, the two are the same.
To generate something is to create it.
So generating content is the same as creating/authoring content.

The site is then generated from the content.

It looks like your phrase "content generation" is what I would call
"site generation".

Or equally, you are thinking of "site content" whereas I am thinking
of information content, i.e. the content of APT, XML or Markdown
files.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2018-02-06 at 09:55 +0000, sebb wrote:
> On 4 February 2018 at 11:49, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2018-02-03 at 23:02 +0000, sebb wrote:
> > > On 3 February 2018 at 10:32, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>

> > > But Maven is not a content generation tool;
> >
> > Why are we using it as a content generation tool I am wondering?
>
> We are not; we are using editors etc.
>
> Maven is used to generate the presentation of the content as a
> website
> or a PDF or whatever.

You are confusing content generation with content authoring.

> AFAICR I have done both, but not recently.

Would you be able to mention any particular contribution of a non-
trivial feature or functionality that had also entailed adding a code
sample to the project website or adding a new section to the tutorial?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 4 February 2018 at 11:49, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2018-02-03 at 23:02 +0000, sebb wrote:
>> On 3 February 2018 at 10:32, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>

>> > Like, better tools tend to use markdown.
>>
>> But Maven is not a content generation tool;
>
> Why are we using it as a content generation tool I am wondering?

We are not; we are using editors etc.

Maven is used to generate the presentation of the content as a website
or a PDF or whatever.

>> Preference for markdown and its tooling
>> Content presentation.
>> Site generation.
>>
>> Only the latter is really down to Maven and you have yet to explain
>> what it is about the site generation that is so terrible.
>>

> Had you been taking any interest in actually contributing code or
> project web site content you might have known.

AFAICR I have done both, but not recently.

> Maven generates broken links

agreed, but AFAIR it can be fixed in Maven (commons did)

> inconsistent line delimiters that Svn chokes on

Not noticed that. But is it Maven or one of the tools (e.g. Javadoc)
that creates them?

> and cannot generate sites consisting of multiple versions of
> the same artifact.

AIUI the multiple sites issue is more about svnpubsub, though

> I have spent years trying to get it to work (it is
> not a figure of speech) and ended up writing a bunch of gradle scripts
> that stitch together content from multiple maven project, post-process
> the content to fix the links and line delimiters.

Are you sure migration won't involve lots of ongoing work, and then
you discover that the new build system has other features that have to
be worked round?

> No, Sebastian, all is peachy and Maven site plugin is just fine as long
> as you do not have to touch it.

Well, it is working now, is it not?

==

There are several independent but related issues here:
- the content information format
- the site look and feel
- how it is generated.

I think it is important to be clear about the reasons for any change.
So if some existing features are lost, that can be justified in terms
of the benefits.

The site URLs and links should be considered as part of the 'API' of
the documentation.
We should not break them unnecessarily.

Note: I am not arguing that we have to keep Maven to build the site.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2018-02-06 at 16:28 +0000, sebb wrote:
> On 6 February 2018 at 14:17, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2018-02-05 at 23:39 -0700, Bindul Bhowmik wrote:

> > Absolutely. Being able to take a full advantage of better tooling
> > is a
> > primary motivating factor for me to consider migration to Jekyll or
> > similar content rendering engine.
> >
> > This is a great example of a good project web site
> >
> > http://struts.apache.org/getting-started/
> >
> > What makes it massively better is not a prettier look but that
> > 'Edit on
> > GitHub' button.
>
> Which surely could be done with the current HC site?

No, it cant because (1) we do not use markdown (2) site generation
requires custom scripts and multiple maven projects.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bindul Bhowmik <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 7:17 AM, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2018-02-05 at 23:39 -0700, Bindul Bhowmik wrote:

>> If I may ask as a user of the library, would the new site still have
>> parts of the site that are generated from releases? For example,
>> Javadocs?
>>

> Hi Bindul
>
> Yes, most certainly javadocs would still be there (given that javadoc
> content gets published to ASF Nexus / Maven Central with every release
> and therefore is available) but some Maven generated reports would
> likely be lost. I _personally_ never found them useful, so I do not see
> it as a big loss.

Hi Oleg,

Thank you for taking that into consideration.

>> Also, irrespective of the site generation tool or content format
>> selection, would it help to move the generated site to git (use
>> gitpubsub) and have the site built/published from Jenkins? I happened
>> to see a discussion [1] on builds@a.o recently about it. Looks like
>> the tooling will also be able to provide a staging site (soon).
>>

> Absolutely. Being able to take a full advantage of better tooling is a
> primary motivating factor for me to consider migration to Jekyll or a
> similar content rendering engine.
>
> This is a great example of a good project web site
>
> http://struts.apache.org/getting-started/

Good stuff. However, looks like the struts folks also maintain a full
maven site (http://struts.apache.org/maven/) under the main site. And
looks like they are using Jekyll and Jenkins as well
(https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/%3CCAMopvkO7VJ+pKtipKMEvEZ2udVMk5-JWymmjvF=jjfBdALogBg@mail.gmail.com%3E).

> What makes it massively better is not a prettier look but that 'Edit on
> GitHub' button.

I was going to mention that I remember seeing something similar on the
maven lists, as Michael mentioned.

Bindul

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bindul Bhowmik <bi...@gmail.com>.

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c9c387cc3172bd37ff2355866e91bb4e4985baaf44d3fe1931135f4f@%3Cbuilds.apache.org%3E

Re: [DISCUSS] Migrating project website content to markdown (2nd attempt)

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 3 February 2018 at 10:32, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2018-02-03 at 10:21 +0000, sebb wrote:
>> On 2 February 2018 at 17:41, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
>> wrote:

>> > Of course not, as long as some other poor sucker has to maintain
>> > that
>> > site.

>> > This is not so much about the look of the site being terrible
>> > (which is
>> > a consequence, not a cause) but about the way the site gets
>> > generated
>> > is terrible.
>>
>> In what way is it terrible?
>
> Being terribly broken makes it terrible, does it not?

In what way is it broken?
Specifically what way is the site generation broken?

>> And does that have anything to do with Markdown?
>
> Like, better tools tend to use markdown.

But Maven is not a content generation tool; besides it does support markdown.

>> > Have you ever wondered why there has been literally not a single
>> > contribution to our web site from an external contributor?
>> >
>> > Have you ever wondered why there have been only two substantial
>> > contributions to our documentation in the past 10 years? I suspect
>> > the
>> > reason is the same.
>>
>> There are lots of reasons why people don't contribute documentation.
>
> Absolutely. But twisted and broken tooling that generates hideous
> looking content does not really help, does it?

I think you are conflating several issues here.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 2 February 2018 at 17:41, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2018-02-02 at 17:05 +0000, sebb wrote:
>> On 2 February 2018 at 13:33, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
>> wrote:

>> > It is also important to eat healthy, be polite and stay away from
>> > those
>> > girls.
>> >
>> > I am sorry, Sebastian, but links are likely to get broken and some
>>
>> It's not necessary to change the site design.
>> Nor is it necessary to drop Maven.
>>

> Of course not, as long as some other poor sucker has to maintain that
> site.
>
>> I think links are a lot more more important than looks.
>>

> This is not so much about the look of the site being terrible (which is
> a consequence, not a cause) but about the way the site gets generated
> is terrible.

In what way is it terrible?

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2018-02-03 at 10:18 +0000, sebb wrote:
> On 3 February 2018 at 09:31, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
> wrote:

> > > No, but is there any huge benefit over apt?
> >
> > Massively better tooling. Github support for writing documentation
> > is
> > just awesome.
>
> Does it preclude using Maven?

Of course not, especially if one intentionally wants to make things
unnecessary complex.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2018-02-03 um 10:31 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
> On Fri, 2018-02-02 at 23:01 +0100, Michael Osipov wrote:
>> Am 2018-01-31 um 14:06 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
>>> Folks
>>>
>>> We have a dubious honor of having absolutely the most hideous
>>> project
>>> web site in existence. It makes my eyes bleed every time I have to
>>> update it. It is simply horrible.
>>>
>>> I would like to migrate project website sources from Maven apt and
>>> xdoc
>>>    to markdown format and switch to using either jekyll or hugo site
>>> generator to render markdown to html.
>>>
>>> 1. Does anyone have conceptual objections to using markdown?
>>
>> No, but is there any huge benefit over apt?
>
> Massively better tooling. Github support for writing documentation is
> just awesome.

How do we benefit from when we are publishing to ASF infrastructure
through 'mvn site'?

Michael

Re: [DISCUSS] Migrating project website content to markdown (2nd attempt)

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@apache.org>.
On 1/31/2018 6:36 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> Folks
>
> We have a dubious honor of having absolutely the most hideous project
> web site in existence. It makes my eyes bleed every time I have to
> update it. It is simply horrible.
>
> I would like to migrate project website sources from Maven apt and xdoc
>   to markdown format and switch to using either jekyll or hugo site
> generator to render markdown to html.
>
> 1. Does anyone have conceptual objections to using markdown?
I have no objections..
> 2. Does anyone have any preference with regards to static site
> generators?
>
> Jekyll appears to be the tool of choice for many ASF projects. I
> personally tend to lean toward Hugo more.
No preference here.. I think we must use what is easier for us to
maintain, and not what other ASF projects use most.

thanks
asankha

--
Asankha C. Perera