Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by modemide <mo...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/17 18:51:59 UTC

JobTracker - Cannot assign requested address

Problem:
After adding another PC to use as a stand-alone JobTracker, I get the
"cannot assign requested address" error in the JobTracker log on the master
when running bin/start-all.sh

If I run the following on the new JobTracker machine:
bin/start-mapred.sh

Everything works great, except that also starts a task tracker instance and
the JobTracker machine participates in reduces instead of just managing
jobs.

Did I misconfigure something?  How do I prevent the JobTracker from running
a TaskTracker from starting.  Similarly, how do I fix the issue with the
master failing to spawn a JobTracker instance on the new machine?

Note:
Also, I do realize that having a job tracker at this point is overkill,
however, I'm just trying to emulate a working environment.  My setup worked
perfectly when I just had 4 TaskTrackers, and 1 NameNode (also running
JobTracker).

My setup:
4 TaskTracker / DateNodes
10.1.10.9
10.1.10.10
10.1.10.17
10.1.10.18

1 NameNode
10.1.10.1

1 JobTracker
10.1.10.2

Config:
NameNode/mapred-site.xml:
DataNodes/mapred-site.xml:

mapred.job.tracker
JOBTRACKER:54311

JobTracker/mapred-site.xml:

mapred.job.tracker
JOBTRACKER:54311

mapred.map.tasks
40

mapred.reduce.tasks
8

Details:
When I run bin/start-all.sh from the master, my thought would have been that
the Master would start everything in this order:
Master starts - NameNode @ Master
Master starts - 4 DataNodes
Master starts - SecondaryNameNode @ Master
Master starts - JobTracker @ new Job Tracker machine <----***********
Master starts - 4 TaskTrackers.

However, what's actually happening is:
Master starts - NameNode @ Master
Master starts - 4 DataNodes
Master starts - SecondaryNameNode @ Master
Master tries to start JobTracker locally (it doesn't have a hostname
preceding the command, thus my assumption that its starting it locally)
Master starts - 4 TaskTrackers.

I can't figure out why in the world it didn't start the JobTracker on the
new machine.