Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by ma...@themacaque.com on 2009/10/27 11:24:25 UTC

Where do deleceted docs go

Hello there,

I'm writting a piece of code in which i would like to be able to retrieve
documents that have already been deleted by the user. I was wondering if
that is possible or in the other hand the document is completely deleted.

Thanks for any help,

Manuel

Re: Where do deleceted docs go

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
Specifying a revision to get older copies of a document has been
around since forever. There have been a couple discussions on removing
it to inform people that CouchDB rev's are not for version control,
but generally it hasn't overcome the "but how could I revert one
version back for undo?

On the other hand, perhaps just having an _undo handler that will
revert to a specific rev. Or possibly just force it to be the latest
revision (by posting the current revision, simple!).

Either, way, it was on purpose, but the status of whether it continues
to exist in the current form isn't something I'd bet the farm on.
Maybe beers though.

Paul Davis

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi Mandel,

On 28 Oct 2009, at 08:20, mandel@themacaque.com wrote:

> My main question was actually related with that fact. I was
> wondering if I
> could either relay on couchdb to keep track of deleted documents until
> compacted or on the other hand use a flag in my documents to decide
> what
> if the should be shown or not in my client code.
>
> From my point of view (and needs) relaying in the fact that the
> document
> will not be deleted until the db is compated is not a mayor tread
> off but
> I believe that using a flag would be a more secure way. Relaying on
> couchdb would be making my code dependant of an implementation
> detail of
> the db.

Do not rely on documents being around after you deleted them.

Cheers
Jan
--

Posted by ma...@themacaque.com.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On 28 Oct 2009, at 13:29, Thomas Delaet wrote:

> If I understand this correctly, the fact that you can not rely on
> deleted documents being available cripples the synchronization
> mechanism.
>
> Situation:
>
> Node A
> => Document X (rev 1)
>
> Node B
> => Document X (rev 1)
>
> Events:
>
> 1. Node A deletes Document X
> 2. Node A compacts its database
> 3. Node B synchronizes its database with Node A
>     => Node B will not know that document X is deleted.

This is wrong. Deletes replicate. Node B will know after replication
that node A had the document X deleted.

Cheers
Jan

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.
Aaaannnd... grepping the source gets me the answer in about 30 seconds.

If my Erlang literacy serves me right, it looks like:
POST /db/_purge
with body: {'doc1': ['1-42793874', '2-2348759', ... ], 'doc2': ['8-12341',
'10-850234']}

Just tried it on my machine and it appears to work fine with 0.10.0.

The only thing that bothers me is that requesting a document with ?revs=true
returns a list of rev "ids" which are only the part of the rev after the
dash (eg '28a4512efc7' instead of '3-28a4512efc7') but in order to purge a
document you have to specify the full revision identifier with both parts.
?rev_info=true gives you access to this information, but why isn't it
returned with ?revs=true?

-Randall

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.