Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Dhanya Aishwarya Palanisamy <dh...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/21 12:43:39 UTC

How to write log4j output to HDFS?

Hi,

          Has anyone tried to write log4j log file directly to HDFS? If yes,
please reply how to achieve this.
I am trying to create a appender. Is this the way? My necessity is to write
logs to a file at particular intervals and query that data at a later stage.

Thanks,
Dhanya

Re: How to write log4j output to HDFS?

Posted by Bill Graham <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Check out Chukwa:
http://hadoop.apache.org/chukwa/docs/r0.3.0/design.html#Introduction

It allows you to run agents which tail log4j output and send the data to
collectors, which write the data to HDFS.

thanks,
Bill