Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christian Riedel <sa...@nurfuerspam.de> on 2004/04/03 17:07:01 UTC

Apllications used to work - now hangs without any message in the logs

Hi,

using Tomcat 5.0.19 we ran a web app that used to work just fine until
Wednesday. But here is our problem:

The app uses an OracleConnectionCache for database access. Without
having changed anything on the code responsible for this, the app hangs.
Debugging via System.out.println(...) commands before every actual
command showed, that the app's main class is entered, the servlet init
params are parsed and then a method is called to prepare database
access. This method is entered as well (System.out.println(...) in the
constructor confirmed this) and the next command is

	ods = new OracleConnectionCacheImpl();

This instanciating seems to hang for ever. No command behind this call
is reached. We have not changed any byte of this code. Even a complete
Web-app, packed as war, that definetely used to work a few days ago does
not work any longer.

The Oracle-JDBC-Driver is packed in the war's WEB-INF/lib dir and, as
said before, did not make any trouble until Wednesday.

Now, when I execute the same code, that the webapps uses, as standalone
java app, there is no problem: database connection can be established
properly.

I dont think, that any of our settings can be the cause, as the
instaciating of OracleConnectionCacheImpl uses the default constructor
and the settings would be done manually later via appropriate set...()
methods.

We even tried a complete, clean, reinstall of tomcat (both 5.x (5.0.19)
and 4.x (4.1.24)) using a war archive from our backups that definetely
worked a few days ago (and hasn't been touched since then). But the
problem remains.

As there is no problem accessing the db with the same code as standalone
app (using exactly the same oracle driver as in the war archive) we
assume, that the problem is something with the conatiner. But we are
pretty clueless what it is.

I hope anyone can give us some usefull hints. We have spent 2 whole days
now trying to figure out the root of the problem but have not been
succesfull so far.

TIA

	Christian
--
To reply to this posting directly use the following address and
remove the 'NO-SPAM' part: Riedel.Christian.NO-SPAM@gmx.net

Re: Apllications used to work - now hangs without any message in the logs

Posted by Christian Riedel <sa...@nurfuerspam.de>.
Hi all,

the problem was that the app worked on two different database instaces
of which one didn't accept any more connections so the app hung there.
It only seemed that the instanciating of OracleConnectionCacheImpl was
the cause. This simply was the point where tomcat stopped working ...

Bye Christian