UserGroupInformation: No groups available for user

I am trying to submit a remote job in mapreduce, but I get the error [1].
I even have set in |hdfs-site.xml| in the remote hadoop the content [2],
and changed permissions [3], but the problem remains.

How should I get rid of this problem?

|2015-04-23 05:57:35,648 WARN org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation: No groups available for user xeon
|

|     <property>
         <name>dfs.web.ugi</name>
         <value>xeon,webuser,webgroup</value>
     </property>

[3]

|2041  hdfs dfs -chown -R xeon:supergroup /user/xeon
2045  hdfs dfs -chown -R xeon:supergroup /tmp/hadoop-yarn/staging/xeon/
2039  hdfs dfs -chmod -R 777 /user/xeon
2053  hdfs dfs -chmod -R 777 /tmp/hadoop-yarn/staging/xeon

​

Re: UserGroupInformation: No groups available for user

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.
Hello,

This warning typically means that your user is not defined/visible within the host OS for all nodes in the Hadoop cluster.  The Hadoop code determines a user's set of group memberships by consulting the underlying OS.  If the user is unknown at the OS layer, then Hadoop sees an empty set of group memberships and logs this warning.

The typical fix is to make sure the user is defined at all nodes in the cluster, such as by running useradd.  For large production clusters, integrating with a centralized LDAP server obviously makes this a lot more manageable.

Alternatively, you could choose to ignore the warning.  If your application is not dependent on group memberships for anything (such as HDFS file permissions granting access to a group), then that might be acceptable for your use case.

Chris Nauroth
Hortonworks
http://hortonworks.com/