Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "Barstow,Richard A." <RB...@Travelers.com> on 2003/02/03 18:09:15 UTC

Tutorial and Documentation

I think I may be able to help here. I plan to set up a mail server on my
new cable connection sometime in the next month or so, so I'll be
needing to do this. In addition, I have NOT installed James yet, so I
don't know much about the actual handling of it.

I won't be available until late February to do this, but I would be
happy to beta test any doc or stuff at that point, or just start from
scratch.

What I plan to set up may not be common, but I don't think it's that
unreasonable:
W2K Server on 24/7 dedicated server <-DNS server for internal LAN
--Install Java + Avalon + ??
--Install James as a W2K service here, along w/ POP3, SMTP,
?WebInterface, ?IMAP
--Restrict sending to local clients
--Setup pop3 retrieval from other mail servers?
--Configure MX record for internal clients (local domain /= mail domain)
--Configure FW to forward inbound mail to James
--I use ZoneEdit for inbound mail domain (so I'd have to makes some
adjustments there)
W2K & Win98 clients:
--Configure email clients to point to new server for mail
--test configuration (POP3, SMTP, authSMTP, LDAP?, IMAP?)

--Rich