Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Cassandra Targett <ct...@apache.org> on 2020/04/28 20:12:59 UTC

Solr Ref Guide Redesign coming in 8.6

The PMC would like to engage the Solr user community for feedback on an
extensive redesign of the Solr Reference Guide I've just committed to the
master (future 9.0) branch.

You can see the new design from our Jenkins build of master:
https://builds.apache.org/view/L/view/Lucene/job/Solr-reference-guide-master/javadoc/

The hope is that you will receive these changes positively. If so, we'll
use this for the upcoming 8.6 Ref Guide and future releases. We also may
re-publish earlier 8.x versions so they use this design.

I embarked on this project last December simply as an attempt to upgrade
the version of Bootstrap used by the Guide. After a couple of days, I'd
changed the layout entirely. In the ensuing few months I've tried to iron
out the kinks and made some extensive changes to the "backend" (the CSS,
JavaScript, etc.).

I'm no graphic designer, but some of my guiding thoughts were to try to
make full use of the browser window, improve responsiveness for different
sized screens, and just give it a more modern feel. The full list of what
has changed is detailed in the Jira issue if you are interested:

This is Phase 1 of several changes. There is one glaring remaining issue,
which is that our list of top-level categories is too long for the new
design. I've punted fixing that to Phase 2, which will be an extensive
re-consideration of how the Ref Guide is organized with the goal of
trimming down the top-level categories to only 4-6. SOLR-14444 will track
phase 2.

One last thing to note: this redesign really only changes the presentation
of the pages and some of the framework under the hood - it doesn't yet add
full-text search. All of the obstacles to providing search still exist, but
please know that we fully understand frustration on this point and still
hope to fix it.

I look forward to hearing your feedback in this thread.

Best,
Cassandra

Re: Solr Ref Guide Redesign coming in 8.6

Posted by matthew sporleder <ms...@gmail.com>.
I highly recommend a version selector in the header!  I am *always*
landing on 6.x docs from google.

Posted by Cassandra Targett <ct...@apache.org>.
To respond to the feedback so far:

Version picker: This is more complex than it may be initially assumed
because of the way we publish the site. Since we use a static site
generator, each page is a standalone HTML file. To add a version picker to
an older version that includes all the latest versions, we'd need to
republish all the older versions every time we published a new one. We
could get around this by pointing a version picker to a location we update
each time (but still today would need to republish all the older versions
to add it at all), which was harder to do in the past due to how the Solr
website as a whole was published. I wanted to try to address this problem
in what I'm calling Phase 3 - moving to a different static site generator
that supports multiple versions in a more native way but maybe I can find a
simple stopgap until then.

Jumpiness while hovering over nav items: The font size isn't actually
different when you hover or select a nav item, it's just bolded which makes
it overrun the allotted space and wrap. I made it bolded in response to
other feedback I got earlier on that there was not enough differentiation
between selected and not-selected items but didn't notice the jumpiness (I
had to make my screen quite large to duplicate it, and when I looked at the
Guide on larger screens earlier I was usually looking at some other problem
and just didn't notice). I'll play with it a little and find another way to
differentiate the items without bolding them.

Thanks for your comments so far!

Posted by Colvin Cowie <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bernd Fehling <be...@uni-bielefeld.de>.
+1

Posted by Cassandra Targett <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by S G <sg...@gmail.com>.
I really like the docs and version selecting provided by Graylog
https://docs.graylog.org/en/3.2/

It says this on the bottom:
Built with Sphinx <http://sphinx-doc.org/> using a theme
<https://github.com/rtfd/sphinx_rtd_theme> provided by Read the Docs
<https://readthedocs.org/>.

I do not have any experience with Sphinx or Read the Docs.

Here is the version selector and download menu:
[image: Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 8.21.52 AM.png]

Posted by Cassandra Targett <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@iupui.edu>.
At first glance, I have no big issues.  It looks clean and functional,
and I like that.  I think it will work well enough for me.

[...]

(I'm aware that a lot of the things I complain about in "modern" web
sites are the things that make them "modern".  So, I'm an old fossil. :-)

Firefox 68.7.0esr, Gentoo Linux.

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst