Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by Derek Poh <dp...@globalsources.com> on 2014/06/09 09:00:48 UTC

Does solr 4.8.1 support these features?

My company is actively looking at alternative search engine applications
to replace our current Endeca application.

I have no experience and knowledge on Solr and Lucene.
Please bear with me, I would like to find out if the following features
are available on Solr.

1. Aggregate results (rollups).
Eg. Froma list of search result of products (each has field = supplier
id), can the results be aggregated by supplier id with the original
results ordering retain.

2. Filter/Navigator, counts.
List out a field's possible values and their counts fromthe indexed data
and from the return results.
The field's values can be sorted by the values description or by the
values countsin the return results.

Eg. Field "Business Type" belowwith it's possible values and the count
for each value(in bracket). Can the field be return in the result with
it's values sorted either by description or bycounts?
Business Type
Manufacturer (15269)
     Exporter (12493)
     Trading Company (5541)
     Agent (1324)
     Wholesaler (1202)
     Importer (682)
     Buying Office (394)
Distributor (278)
     Other (157)
     Retailer (116)
     Consultant (54)

3. Configureand defined the relevance rankingand matching logic of the
return result.

4. Defined and configure the thesaurus (1-wayor 2-way), stemming and
stop words.

5. Multi-language supportfor Simplified Chinese and Spanish.

6. Scalability.
At present, we are indexing 4million recordsand the number is expected
to increase by more than 10 folds in the near future.

7. Search results debugging. Eg. why record was matchedor why record was
ranked as such.

Derek

----------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this e-mail in error, please inform the sender immediately and delete this e-mail (including any attachments) from your computer, and you must not use, disclose to anyone else or copy this e-mail (including any attachments), whether in whole or in part.

This e-mail and any reply to it may be monitored for security, legal, regulatory compliance and/or other appropriate reasons.

Re: Does solr 4.8.1 support these features?

Posted by Derek Poh <dp...@globalsources.com>.
Heh no worries, am glad to have feedbacks to my queries.

Will check out the referencelinks.

Still trying to understand how different solr (structure and design) is
compared to our current search application.

Posted by Phanindra R <ph...@gmail.com>.
I don't mean to hijack.

Posted by Mark Bennett <ma...@lucidworks.com>.
Derek,

Yes, you have several options.

1: You can maintain the 3 separate indexes, what Solr would typically call a "collection"

2: You could also combine the data into one larger collection and use a field to filter on.

3: A third option is to keep them separate (as in 1), but if you occasionally want to search all 3 you can do that as well from a single search with collection=.  Or if using SolrCloud you can also create a collection alias.  So this way you can easily search just 1 collection, or all 3, by changing just 1 parameter.

--

On Jun 10, 2014, at 9:03 PM, Derek Poh <dp...@globalsources.com> wrote:

> Mark
>
> Looks like "edismax"support it, will read moreon it.
>
> Onour current search application, we have a couple of indexes, each on specific typesof data.
> Eg. 1 index of product data, 1 index on supplier data, 1 index on category data.
> We query against eachindex for different searches (like product search or supplier search).
> It is commonly refer to as application/pipeline in Endeca.
>
> Does solr support such setup?
>

> On 6/11/2014 6:23 AM, Mark Bennett wrote:
>> Derek,
>>
>> The "edismax" parser is pretty amazing.  If I understand your questions, I think the answer is yes.
>>
>> When people tune relevancy sometimes they apply very strong rules, they "yell" at the engine.  But it sounds like you already have a good instinct, to "whisper" at Relevancy, at least at the start, and to think in terms of tie breakers.
>>
>> When you specify the fields that edismax is to search, you can give each of them a different weights.  I think this will do most of what you want.
>>
>> Whether matches are combined via addition or multiplication can be controlled with different options in edismax, although sometimes you have to do a bit of reading and experimenting.
>>
>> Another trick that I sometimes use is to use copyField so that the same field is indexed several different ways.  Then, the indexed field with an exact match is given a weight of 1.0, vs. a "fuzzy" match (for example with synonyms / thesaurus) is given only a weight of 0.5 or 0.3
>>
>> --
>> Mark Bennett / LucidWorks: Search & Big Data / mark.bennett@lucidworks.com
>> Office: 408-898-4201 / Telecommute: 408-733-0387 / Cell: 408-829-6513
>>
>> On Jun 10, 2014, at 12:26 AM, Derek Poh <dp...@globalsources.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Mark
>>>
>>> Appreciate you taking the time to reply and with references.
>>>
>>> Regarding 3. Configure and defined the relevance ranking and matching logic of the return result.
>>>
>>> Can each search handler be configure to
>>> - search on a few fields
>>> - assign a numeric rank to each of the field, such that a match on a field with the highest rank will rank the document higher in the return search result.
>>> - the ranking of each field will also act as tie-breaker.
>>> Eg.
>>> Category = 3
>>> SPPKeyWord= 2

Posted by Derek Poh <dp...@globalsources.com>.