Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Baptiste Mathus <bm...@batmat.net> on 2014/04/15 10:53:25 UTC

"Not a local repository. It is a local repository cache." (was: Fwd: Why Is Maven Ignoring My Local Repo?)

Hi all,

Wondering, though not strictly 4.0.0 restricted, shouldn't a decision be
made about that vocabulary and reflect this in the docs and settings.xml
tags and so on?

I mean, I myself often explain it's not really a local repo, more a cache,
but the tag names and the docs makes it hard to spread the word.

In settings.xml : <localRepository> could be renamed to <localCache> or
<localRepositoryCache> ?

In the docs, e.g. https://maven.apache.org/pom.html there're many
references to a "local repository".

WDYT?

Cheers

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.
Am Thu, 17 Apr 2014 13:40:38 +0200
schrieb Jörg Schaible <jo...@swisspost.com>:
> > Clearly, removing the ability to install artifacts locally would be
> > a very bad idea since it would make it more difficult for casual
> > users to use Maven for casual builds (e.g., I regularly use it to
> > build sample projects for customers that I never intend to do
> > anything else with once I send it to the customer).
>
> A remote repository is specified with an URL. Nobody prevents you
> from using a file URL i.e. having a real local repository on your
> disk.

Or using "mvn verify" and pick up the artifacts in target/ where they
are easier to find anyway. (which does of course not work if multiple
ad-hoc projects depend on each other)

(This is BTW a personal pet peeve, any idea why eclipse e2m offers some
default targets but the verfiy (or at least package) goal is none of
them.)

Gruss
Bernd

Re: "Not a local repository. It is a local repository cache." (was: Fwd: Why Is Maven Ignoring My Local Repo?)

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@swisspost.com>.
ROBERT PATRICK wrote:

> I don't understand the issue.  I regularly use artifacts in my build that
> are only present in my local repository.  Yes, Maven checks my remote
> repository for these artifacts but it doesn't ignore them if they are not
> in the remote repo.  It also works when building offline without access to
> my remote repository.  Is it treated as a cache, maybe so but it's not
> clear to me that renaming the tag won't serve to add more confusion to a
> long-standing behavior...
>
> Clearly, removing the ability to install artifacts locally would be a very
> bad idea since it would make it more difficult for casual users to use
> Maven for casual builds (e.g., I regularly use it to build sample projects
> for customers that I never intend to do anything else with once I send it
> to the customer).

A remote repository is specified with an URL. Nobody prevents you from using
a file URL i.e. having a real local repository on your disk.

- Jörg

Re: "Not a local repository. It is a local repository cache." (was: Fwd: Why Is Maven Ignoring My Local Repo?)

Posted by Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com>.
On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 1:43 PM, Igor Fedorenko <ig...@ifedorenko.com> wrote:

> My problem with current behaviour is that the same location is used as
> both cache for remote artifacts and repository for locally installed
> artifacts. I think a cleaner model is to separate the two. It will still
> be possible to install locally, although I am not sure we'll need
> separate "install" phase.

+1

Jeff

> --
> Regards,
> Igor
>

> On 2014-04-17, 7:13, ROBERT PATRICK wrote:
>
>> I don't understand the issue.  I regularly use artifacts in my build
>> that are only present in my local repository.  Yes, Maven checks my
>> remote repository for these artifacts but it doesn't ignore them if
>> they are not in the remote repo.  It also works when building offline
>> without access to my remote repository.  Is it treated as a cache,
>> maybe so but it's not clear to me that renaming the tag won't serve
>> to add more confusion to a long-standing behavior...
>>
>> Clearly, removing the ability to install artifacts locally would be a
>> very bad idea since it would make it more difficult for casual users
>> to use Maven for casual builds (e.g., I regularly use it to build
>> sample projects for customers that I never intend to do anything else
>> with once I send it to the customer).
>>
>> Just my two cents, Robert
>>
>> Robert Patrick <ro...@oracle.com> VP, FMW Platform
>> Architecture Oracle Mobile: +1 469 556 9450 Sent from my iPad >
>>
>>> On Apr 17, 2014, at 1:54 AM, Baptiste Mathus <bm...@batmat.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I also think that installing locally is somehow to be seen as a hack. And
>>> though I do it myself on a regular basis while developing, I indeed never
>>> see it as a sustainable place for my artifacts, only deploy is (and still
>>> temporary for non releases).
>>>
>>> Yes, I think we should rename that tag.
>>>
>>> And if not we should stop telling people it must not be seen as a
>>> repository, but as a cache...

Jeff MAURY

working and scaling.
 - Bjarne Stroustrup

http://www.jeffmaury.com
http://riadiscuss.jeffmaury.com
http://www.twitter.com/jeffmaury

Re: "Not a local repository. It is a local repository cache." (was: Fwd: Why Is Maven Ignoring My Local Repo?)

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.
Am Thu, 17 Apr 2014 07:43:13 -0400
schrieb Igor Fedorenko <ig...@ifedorenko.com>:

> My problem with current behaviour is that the same location is used as
> both cache for remote artifacts and repository for locally installed
> artifacts.

Actually I agree, it would be good to have a "real" cache which is 1:1
existing for each defined remote repo, and the default "local" repo,
which only contains stuff you installed in.

This would also reduce checksum conflicts, avoids the special "from
where is it" properties and allows to more selectively purge cache
content (by deleting for example only the cache of the 'snapshot-repo')

(But I guess this would slow down searching/resolution?)

Bernd

Re: "Not a local repository. It is a local repository cache." (was: Fwd: Why Is Maven Ignoring My Local Repo?)

Posted by ROBERT PATRICK <RO...@ORACLE.COM>.

Posted by Baptiste Mathus <bm...@batmat.net>.