Posted to doc@openoffice.apache.org by F Campos Costero <fj...@gmail.com> on 2021/01/25 16:03:26 UTC

Getting Started Guide (was Proposed Process for Documentation)

I think discussion specific to a new Getting Started Guide should have its
own thread, so i am launching this one.

@Marcia - It is great that you are working on a guide. Did you start it
from scratch or is it based on some other document? How far have you gotten?

@Robert - You expressed interest in working on a Getting Started Guide.
Have you seen the links that Jean provided to her book?
PDF  http://taming-apacheopenoffice.com/downloads/TamingAOO34.pdf
ODT  http://taming-apacheopenoffice.com/downloads/TamingAOO34.odt

Would you be interested in working on that?

Francis

Re: Getting Started Guide (was Proposed Process for Documentation)

Posted by F Campos Costero <fj...@gmail.com>.
It seems we have two possible projects for Robert to work on: a Mac version
of a brief Getting Started guide and the updating of Jean's Taming AOO
book.

I like the idea of short OS-specific guides. The people most likely to need
a Getting Started guide are also probably the most likely to get confused
by information that is not relevant to their OS and 300 pages is
intimidating if you are really a total novice. Each OS also has quirks
associated with installation that would be well handled in a dedicated
guide. Writing the guides from scratch would allow licensing them however
the author prefers. If they are relatively brief, we could have new content
up quickly and such visible progress would be welcome.

A huge advantage of revising Taming AOO is that it probably does not need a
lot of changes. Though the revision would probably take quite a while, I
expect the rate of producing up-to-date content would be high.

I think I will start to go through the Taming AOO book and make notes on
what changes should or could be made.

@Robert - Are you interested in writing a Mac Getting Started guide from
scratch? Alternatively, you and I could survey different sections of Taming
AOO for necessary revisions.

@Marcia - If Robert is interested in writing a Mac guide, would it make
sense to coordinate the content of the two guides so the scopes are similar?

Francis

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
On 1/30/2021 10:23 PM, F Campos Costero wrote:
> I think Keith's preference was to use Git. I have only used Git a little to
> track my own work but that choice seems fine to me.
> Marcia - are you OK with that choice? If so, we would have to ask how one
> gets a repository set up under the project's ownership.
>
> Francis

Yes, that was my preference as laid out in the Proposed Documentation
flow. I proposed it that way because that is where the other projects
repositories are. We completed the move of everything from SVN to Git
just recently. Like everything in an Apache project it needs to be
decided by consensus. The only thing that document was meant to do was
act as a gateway to the discussion.One of the goals in my mind when I
started this latest push was to get better revision control of the
documentation and since the project used Git for for its other
repositories that was the logical starting point. If others have
differing opinions lets talk them out and come to a consensus.

Regards
Keith.

Posted by F Campos Costero <fj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
On 1/30/2021 8:22 PM, marcia wilbur wrote:
> Thanks for the resource!
> I am wondering, I know we use styles etc... within writer, but do we have a style guide or a style cheatsheet?
>
> Also, was there a determination on options for collaboration?
> For example, I have marked up portions of the taming document - what is the process for sharing?
> The wiki? Gitbox area?  e-mail?
>
> Thanks,

The closets thing we have for a Style Guide are the following two links.
They are mainly aimed at the mwiki, much of the information in them is
applicable our use as well.
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Dashboard/Help_Style_Guide#Formats

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Dashboard/Wiki_Editing_Policy

As I remember correctly ODFAuthors used the Chicago Manual of Style, or
we could choose our own. Do you know what LO uses for there style guide?

Regards
Keith

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Posted by F Campos Costero <fj...@gmail.com>.