Posted to dev@tamaya.apache.org by Anatole Tresch <at...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/30 23:55:07 UTC

GH Repo

Hi guys

as promised I have put together the current state of a streamlines API
including adaptions needed on all the current codebase. This can be found at

https://github.com/atsticks/tamaya-next

The API especially is here:

https://github.com/atsticks/tamaya-next/tree/tamaya-next/code/api/src/main/java/org/apache/tamaya

Short summary of the ideas:

   - define *Configuration* by simply providing String get(String key).
   - organize configuration as an ordered list of "*ConfigurationProcessor*"
   instances aka *processor chain*, which basically are a more generic
   combination of PropertySource and PropertyFilter, thus removing the need
   for PropertyFilter as well as other heavy decision such as when to
   filter. The data access call is simply String get(String key,
   ConfigurationProcessorContext context);
   - The *ConfigurationProcessorContext* gives access to the remaining
   procerssor chain and also helps to reduce boilerplate code in the
   implementations.
   - The Configuration itself can be created using a *ConfigurationBuilder*,
   which basically is a programmatic API to construct the processor chain.
   This builder is provided by a *ConfigurationBuilderFactory*.
   - The factory also can load the default chain, which is the basic
   mechanism we had in place, loading sources, source providers and use their
   ordinals for priorization. Nevertheless the factor allows to build up your
   own thing, or allows to reproduce the "default" configuration bas calling
   factory.loadDefaults().build();
   - So the ConfigurationFactory is also the SPI used by the
   ConfigurationProvider using the default functionality as described above.

This results in 4 API artifacts and a SPI with another 4 artifacts, which
allow us to do anything we already have with relatively controllable
efforts:
[image: Inline-Bild 1]

​Just a few side nodes:

   - there is the adapter extension (*tamaya-adapter*), which allows you
   give an adapter singleton to adapt configuration to something else. E.g.
   this allows us to add functionality for types and defaults:
   TypedConfiguration cfg =
   ConfigAdapterManager.adapt(TypedConfiguration.class);
   ConfigWithDefaults cfg2 =
   ConfigAdapterManager.adapt(ConfigWithDefaults.class);
   - ​Similarly ConfigProcessor instances can implement Mixin Interfaces
   such as Scannable (another module SPI from *tamaya-scannable*) to
   provide additional capabilities. This can similalry used to provide access
   with getProperties().

​I will be now on holidays for 2 weeks. I will be able to answer mails, but
will not have access to a notebook or a computer bigger than my smartphone.
So hangouts work well, coding will be limited ;). Please look at the code
(especially the API and core parts, the modules are not yet fully buildable
;) ).​

​J Anatole​

​Suggestion/question: next hangout on Monday evening ?​

--
*Anatole Tresch*
PPMC Member Apache Tamaya

Re: GH Repo

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Ideally it should do both, but I can't say if something like JBoss/Wildfly
"configuration" (a module that simply helps generate the various XML files)
or Puppet extensions like https://forge.puppet.com/biemond/wildfly
(Multiconf pretty much does the same on top of Kokki instead of Puppet or
Chef) could be easily standardized, too?

There was a dilemma and also discussion on the prior mailing list, if it
should be one or more frameworks. Unlike DeltaSpike or Spring Config Tamaya
has a stronger emphasis on both the "config holder" (Configuration and its
subtypes) and annotations like @Config in Tamaya (Spring calls it
@Configuration)

However the ideas behind Microprofile etc. or also Dropwizard, Spring Boot
and others trying to offer some kind of "Uber JAR", Standalone WAR or
similar means, the "application" or "Java SE" aspects of configuration
should always be there. And have the highest priority. In that sense if a
"Tamaya Microkernel" comes out of the simplification discussion it
certainly can't hurt. And could be a handy alternative for MicroProfile and
its collaborators along the lines of what Spring Config does underneath
Spring Boot.

Regards,
Werner

Re: GH Repo