Posted to dev@hop.apache.org by Julian Hyde <jh...@gmail.com> on 2021/01/27 19:45:50 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release publiciity

(I have renamed the thread; was "Re: Foreign licensed files have been removed”.)

That’s great.

If you have not sent an email to announce@ you should do that too. (It goes through moderation, and may take one or two iterations before they are happy with the content, but you’ll get there in the end.) A lot of people follow announce — e.g. tech journalists — so you’ll read a wider audience.

The release notes seem to be incremental (i.e. what happened since the previous release), which is fine and appropriate. But have you considered some content (blog post, short video) that explains “What is Apache Hop?” to people who are not familiar with it. With a first Apache release, now is a good time to start reaching a new audience.

Another task: have we created a DOAP (description of a project) file yet? We need to have one before graduation, but now might be a good time. It is useful to have a standard description of the project - an elevator pitch, if you will - and the doap will force us to do that. The release announcement should start with a description of the project for people who have never heard of it.

Julian

[1] https://projects.apache.org/doap.html

Re: [DISCUSS] Release publiciity

Posted by Bart Maertens <ba...@know.bi>.
Thanks for the great input as always, Julian!
I'll have a look at previous posts in the announcement list and draft a
post for 0.60.
We have not yet started writing a DOAP, something else to add to our todo
list.

Regards,
Bart