Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Robert Middleton <os...@gmail.com> on 2020/07/15 02:16:55 UTC

[log4cxx] Release Testing

I went and tested the current version of log4cxx, and at least on Linux I
don't have any failures.  There are a bunch of failures on the Windows
side, but I don't know enough about windows to know where to start to debug
those.

The tests that failed:

90% tests passed, 6 tests failed out of 60
Total Test time (real) = 528.17 sec
The following tests FAILED:
14 - minimumtestcase (Failed)
16 - patternlayouttest (Failed)
54 - sizebasedrollingtest (Failed)
55 - timebasedrollingtest (Failed)
57 - errorhandlertestcase (Failed)
60 - xmltests (Failed)

Regardless, I've uploaded the zip and tar.gz here:
https://rm5248.com/log4cxx/

As of this point, do the zip/tar.gz files contain everything required for
release?  Is there anything that needs to be added?  I want to try and help
if there's something that's missing.

-Robert Middleton

Re: [log4cxx] Release Testing

Posted by Robert Middleton <os...@gmail.com>.
I guess I'm viewing this as an "optional" test - we know that the test
is going to fail(because e.g. we don't have gzip installed), so
there's no reason to run the test.  If gzip is installed, then the
test should run and pass appropriately.

I definitely agree that developers should have all tests working.  My
thought is more the case of somebody who simply downloads log4cxx and
wants to use it.  They may be confused by the failing tests, even
though they're not critical, but they don't want/need to setup a
system that will cause 100% of the tests to pass.

Does anything similar happen with log4j2?

-Robert Middleton

Re: [log4cxx] Release Testing

Posted by Stephen Webb <sw...@gmail.com>.
Hi Thorsten,

Would you consider a PR that updated the failing tests with code to check
for the required programmes?

We could then output a failure message that informed the user why the test
does not work.

Re: [log4cxx] Release Testing

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Robert Middleton,

Re: [log4cxx] Release Testing

Posted by Robert Middleton <os...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 2:24 AM Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de> wrote:
> Am I correct that you are using JDK 11 already? Because I'm running
> into problems when executing Maven in my UB 16.04 with JDK 8 setup a
> while ago.

Correct, Java 11 and Maven 3.6.3 for me.  I'm on Debian 10, so Java 11
is readily available and I simply downloaded the latest version of
maven and put it on my $PATH to execute.

> > I'm not sure if the autotools still work at this point; I haven't
> > tested with them in a while.
>
> I just did and they compiled the project fine, the only test failing
> is most likely related to my setup:
>
> > log4cxx: Cannot get information about host: unknown.invalid
> > log4cxx: Could not find unknown.invalid. All logging will FAIL.
> > log4cxx: Cannot get information about host: unknown.invalid
>
> I have a proper name in /etc/hostname, so does anyone have an idea?
>
> >         apr_sockaddr_t* address = 0;
> >         apr_status_t status =
> >                 apr_sockaddr_info_get(&address, encodedHost.c_str(),
> >                         APR_INET, 0, 0, addrPool.getAPRPool());
> >
> >         if (status != APR_SUCCESS)
> >         {
> >                 LogString msg(LOG4CXX_STR("Cannot get information about host: "));
> >                 msg.append(host);
> >                 LogLog::error(msg);
> >                 throw UnknownHostException(msg);
> >         }
>
> > ping ub-16-04-lts-server-x64
> > PING ub-16-04-lts-server-x64 (127.0.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
> > 64 bytes from ub-16-04-lts-server-x64 (127.0.1.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.017 ms
>
> > ping 0.0.0.0
> > PING 0.0.0.0 (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
> > 64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.017 ms
>
> > ping unknown.invalid
> > ping: unknown host unknown.invalid
>
> Not sure when I executed tests the last time, might be with UB 14.04.

Which test is this?

[1]: https://github.com/apache/logging-log4cxx/pull/18
[2]: https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/prop_test/DISABLED.html

Re: [log4cxx] Release Testing

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Robert Middleton,
am Mittwoch, 15. Juli 2020 um 23:44 schrieben Sie:

> No, I used the release_prepare.sh to generate it, since it's my
> understanding that is the script that should do that.

It is, that means the site is not part of the release anymore after
removing the ANT-parts and introducing CMAKE. Not sure if that makes
sense, but could easily live with that.

Re: [log4cxx] Release Testing

Posted by Robert Middleton <os...@gmail.com>.
> How did you create those archives? I guess you didn't use the created
> release_*-scripts, but "make dist dist-zip" again?

No, I used the release_prepare.sh to generate it, since it's my
understanding that is the script that should do that.

I'm not sure if the autotools still work at this point; I haven't
tested with them in a while.

> Everyone is free to ignore failing tests anyway. Not running many of
> those and not notifying the user about that OTOH provides a wrong
> feeling that everything's OK, while things might fail at runtime.

I guess that's one way of thinking about it.  However, if you do that
it seems like you should always run all tests, while (for example) the
NT Event Logger appender test is only run on Windows; this would
always fail on Linux/OSX.

As per Ralph's comment:
> That said, I don’t see anyplace on the log4cxx web site that even states what platforms it supports.

It /should/ work wherever APR works, although for some parts of the
code log4cxx relies on external applications being present(see [1] for
example code, and [2] for the test).  There's also support for
uncommon character encodings like EBCDIC, which I have no idea if it
still works.

I would like to create a minimal library that depends solely on the
C++ standard library, but that would probably be easier with more
modern versions of C++(C++17 has filesystem library, C++20 introduces
formatting[3], which is possibly libfmt[4] on the backend, I'm not
sure).

-Robert Middleton

[1]: https://github.com/apache/logging-log4cxx/blob/229106fd7ce99452501bd8406bd653793c756f69/src/main/cpp/gzcompressaction.cpp#L110
[2]: https://github.com/apache/logging-log4cxx/blob/229106fd7ce99452501bd8406bd653793c756f69/src/test/cpp/rolling/sizebasedrollingtest.cpp#L188
[3]: https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/utility/format
[4]: https://fmt.dev/latest/index.html

Re: [log4cxx] Release Testing

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Robert Middleton,
am Mittwoch, 15. Juli 2020 um 04:16 schrieben Sie:

> As of this point, do the zip/tar.gz files contain everything required for
> release?  Is there anything that needs to be added?  I want to try and help
> if there's something that's missing.

How did you create those archives? I guess you didn't use the created
release_*-scripts, but "make dist dist-zip" again?

The archives don't seem to contain some IDE-projects, the site and are
missing some autotools-related files available in the src-tree. All of
those have been available in the past releases:

https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/logging/log4cxx/0.10.0/apache-log4cxx-0.10.0.zip

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

Re: [log4cxx] Release Testing

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Stephen Webb,
am Mittwoch, 15. Juli 2020 um 05:54 schrieben Sie:

> Thorsten did not accept my pull request.
> https://github.com/apache/logging-log4cxx/pull/18

And I still won't, the necessary tools to make them succeed can easily
be provided for Windows as well:

> C:\Program Files (x86)\UnxUtils\usr\local\wbin
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/unxutils/

Even the Java-part is not too difficult. I've attached my example
script running the tests in a directory layout like the following:

https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/log4j/log4j/1.2.17
https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/log4j/log4j/1.2.17/log4j-1.2.17.jar

Re: [log4cxx] Release Testing

Posted by Stephen Webb <sw...@gmail.com>.
Hi Robert,

I believe the failures are due to gzip,sed and zip programs not being
available.

My preference was to exclude those tests when the program was not available
to prevent exactly the problem you encountered.

Thorsten did not accept my pull request.
https://github.com/apache/logging-log4cxx/pull/18

Perhaps you could help convince Thorsten.

Re: [log4cxx] Release Testing

Posted by Stephen Webb <sw...@gmail.com>.
If 'brew install apr' does not put a link to that  apr-1-config in a
directory on your path,  src/cmake/Find*.cmake should be made to use 'brew
--prefix'.

Could you raise an issue please?

Re: [log4cxx] Release Testing

Posted by Stephen Webb <sw...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ralph,

Change your current directory to the cmake build directory (the directory
with CMakeCache.txt) before running ctest.

Re: [log4cxx] Release Testing

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: [log4cxx] Release Testing

Posted by Stephen Webb <sw...@gmail.com>.

Re: [log4cxx] Release Testing

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Thanks, I hadn’t seen that page.

Ralph

Re: [log4cxx] Release Testing

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Ralph Goers,

Re: [log4cxx] Release Testing

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
I should add that the while there is nothing that mandates the PMC require builds to pass to approve a release, it would be unusual to approve one where building on supported platforms fail without understanding whether the test failures are critical or not. That said, I don’t see anyplace on the log4cxx web site that even states what platforms it supports. I guess I would assume it would be expected to run any place apr is supported?

Re: [log4cxx] Release Testing

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: [log4cxx] Release Testing

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.