Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2001/09/18 07:43:27 UTC

[T4] License Issues and more....

It looks like the T4 distribution violates a bunch of licenses:

Tyrex:
1. Redistributions of source code must retain copyright statements and
notices. Redistributions must also contain a copy of this document.

Nope, I don't see a copy of the license for Tyrex...or licenses for any of
the other included (Jakarta) projects for that matter (or at least credit).

I also see things such as distributing Sun's ldap.jar, therefore
circumventing their licenses and registration process.

There are also a few empty Directories in the distribution:
    jakarta-tomcat-4.0/classes
    server/classes
    common/classes

Shouldn't the webapps come as WAR files???

Tomcat is a very high visibility project. I think that more care should be
taken with the distribution and that the 4.0-final release should be pulled
offline and fixed before we get sued by Sun or anyone else.

thanks,

-jon