Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Peder Nordvaller <pe...@vitaminapplications.se> on 2003/07/22 13:33:35 UTC

åäö

Hello, have anyone had any success in making the WebDAV servlet using slide
compatible with chars such as the swedish åäö? Using internet explorer to
open the servlet as a web folder, I can create folders and such with those
chars, but when I try to change directory to that directory, the url is
translated from "åäö" to "%E5%E4%F6". How can I avoid/fix this? Do I have to
rewrite the slide webdav servlet to actually name them with %E5 etc but
display the real chars when listing contents of a dir or is there an easier
solution?

Sincerely, Peder

Re: AW: aao

Posted by xiaohu <en...@byobroadcast.com>.
Hi Taisuke,

In the WebdavMethod() constructor, there is a call:

this.requestUri = WebdavUtils.getRelativePath( req, config );

It gets the request path by:

result = req.getPathInfo();

I have added debug code in this function to display the path at this
point.  This is the path coming directly from the HttpServletRequest,
before Slide has has a chance to screw with it!  Even here, the path
already appears to be garbage.  Further evidence that Windows may be
doing something strange is the following: I have written my own browser
based client to access Slide.  Using this client, Chinese filenames are
handled correctly, from IE, Opera, and Mozilla, both on Windows and
Linux!  Using Windows XP web folders, the filenames get screwed.  I
suppose this could still be a slide server problem, but I don't see
how?  To answer your question, the filename is NOT UTF-8 when stored on
the server (in a database).

Satish

Re: AW: aao

Posted by Taisuke Yamada <ta...@iij.ad.jp>.

Re: AW: aao

Posted by satish <sa...@byobroadcast.com>.
Hello,

I have read all the recent posts on this issue, and I also looked at the
information on that greenbytes.de URL that Peder supplied.  I still have
a problem.  I am using webfolders on Windows XP.  When I upload a file
with non ascii (multibyte) characters in the filename, the upload is
successful, and the file is displayed correctly in the webfolder.  But
when I do a refresh, it just displays as ??  Thereafter I can never see
the filename correctly again.  I added some debugging code to the WebDAV
servlet PutMethod() to see what was going on.  I can't figure out what
character set windows is using to send the filename to the server!  In
my debug code I tried displaying it as UTF8, GB2312, and ISO-8859-1.
None of them appeared to be correct!  Any insight into this issue would
be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Satish

Re: AW: aao

Re: AW: aao

Posted by Martin Holz <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>.
"Julian Reschke" <ju...@gmx.de> writes:

> No,
>
> this is incorrect. The getCharacterEncoding() returns the encoding of the
> request *body*. It doesn't tell you anything about the message headers.

Sorry, I mixed two problems. You are correct.

RE: AW: aao

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
No,

this is incorrect. The getCharacterEncoding() returns the encoding of the
request *body*. It doesn't tell you anything about the message headers.

Julian

Re: AW: aao

Posted by Martin Holz <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>.

RE: AW: aao

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.

Re: AW: åäö

Posted by Martin Holz <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>.

Re: AW: åäö

Posted by xiaohu <en...@byobroadcast.com>.
I did (EVENTUALLY!) get Slide working with Chinese characters, but I had
to make some changes to the source code.  Basically, I had to derive two
new classes from JDBCDescriptorStore and JDBCContentStore. (I didn't
change the base Slide code, I just tell the slide.def config file to use
my classes instead of the original Slide classes.)  I am using mySQL to
store both the meta-data and the content itself.  Trouble is, my version
of mySQL doesn't correctly handle UTF-8 characters, even in BLOB
fields.  When you store a UTF-8 string into a BLOB field and then read
it back, you don't get back what you put in!  I have no idea what crazy
nonsense mySQL is doing to pull this annoying stunt. But I discovered
that if you store the UTF-8 as a blob, and read it back as bytes, then
it all works correctly.  In other words, for the "insert" statements
involving UTF-8 strings I create a blob and then use it for the insert
as follows:

INSERT STATEMENTS
-----------------

String value; // some UTF-8 string
blob.setBytes( 1, value.getBytes( "utf8" ) )
PreparedStatement statement;  // some PreparedStatement for inserts
statement.setBlob( paramindex, blob )

instead of what the original code does:

statement.setString( paramindex, value )

SELECT STATEMENTS
-----------------

PreparedStatement statement;  // some PreparedStatement for selects
statement.setBytes( paramindex,, uri.toString().getBytes( "utf8" ) );

instead of the original code:

statement.setString( paramindex,, uri.toString() );

RESULTSET PROCESSING
--------------------

Finally, when processing the ResultSet

ResultSet res; // some ResultSet

byte[] bytes = res.getBytes( colindex );
String encval = new String( bytes, "utf8" )

instead of the original code:

res.getString( colindex );

If anybody is using a newer version of mySQL that supposedly supports
UTF8 all of the above may be unnecessary.  I would be interested to know
if this is indeed the case, and if somebody has Slide working with UTF8
and mySQL.

Re: XP Webfolders Weirdness

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de>.
satish wrote:

>I discovered something very bizarre in Windows XP webfolders.  As I
>mentioned before, for the case of uploading a file, (PutMethod()) I
>could not figure out what character encoding windows was using for the
>filename.  However for the case of making a new folder (which is
>MkcolMethod() followed by MoveMethod()) I figured out what it was
>doing.  And it is very strange indeed!  In
>AbstractMultistatusResponseMethod.parseRequest() the desturi is obtained
>by:
>
>destinationUri = req.getHeader("Destination");
>
>I added debug code to display the destinationUri as follows:
>
>byte[] bytestr = destinationUri.getBytes( "ISO-8859-1" );
>String debugstr = new String( bytestr, 0, bytestr.length, "gb2312" );

I might not understand too much of your problem, but I suspect this
piece of code does not do what you expect it to: First you convert your
string into a byte array encoded as "ISO-8859-1". Then you make a new
string out of it, claiming the bytes in your array encode your
characters as "gb2312" which is wrong. They encode it as "ISO-8859-1".
So your bytes might get misinterpreted.

Remember: Strings do not need and do not have any encoding. An encoding
is only needed when you encode your characters in bytes.

Oliver

RE: XP Webfolders Weirdness

Posted by satish <sa...@byobroadcast.com>.
I have a _VERY_ detailed trace of an extremely simple test case, which I
can repeat ad nauseum.  What should I do with my trace?  Would you, or
anybody else, be interested in looking at it?  Maybe there's something
simple I am overlooking.  Right now I am very frustrated.  Especially
since my own browser based client works flawlessly, on Windows and
Linux.  But the requirement for my project is that Windows webfolders
also have to work.  I would really appreciate any help!

RE: XP Webfolders Weirdness

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
Well,

Re: XP Webfolders Weirdness

Posted by Taisuke Yamada <ta...@iij.ad.jp>.
> Thought u needed utf-16 for full Chinese character listing?

Nope. UTF-8 and UTF-16 are just a character _encoding_ (read: bit
pattern) scheme and only different in a way how to express same
"character set".

UTF-8 is preferred most of the time because it is 100% upper
compatible with US-ASCII.

RE: XP Webfolders Weirdness

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
Not fully true.

The Unicode repertoire is larger than 2^16. There are some Unicode code
points that need *two* UTF-16 words to encode.

RE: XP Webfolders Weirdness

Posted by satish <sa...@byobroadcast.com>.

RE: XP Webfolders Weirdness

Posted by Stuart MacPherson <ap...@dsl.pipex.com>.