Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Joe Orton <jo...@manyfish.co.uk> on 2004/03/16 13:36:53 UTC

Re: /home/kfogal needed for AIX 5.1 compile of 1.0.1?

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 07:53:57AM +0100, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 March 2004 03.51, Travis P wrote:
> > Even if I messed up, I pretty sure that that shouldn't have happened.
> > I grep'ed co.conf for kfogal and didn't get any hits
>
> It's a libtool thing. You should run "./autogen.sh" first and then
> everything should be fine.

That should never be necessary from a release tarball.  It looks like
the generated apr-util/build/rules.mk is included in the 1.0.1 tarball,
which might be the problem.

$ grep -r kfogel apr-util/
apr-util/build/rules.mk:apr_builddir=/home/kfogel/src/1.0.x/apr
apr-util/build/rules.mk:apr_builders=/home/kfogel/src/1.0.x/apr/build

Re: /home/kfogal needed for AIX 5.1 compile of 1.0.1?

Posted by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net>.
On Tuesday 16 March 2004 16.24, Travis P wrote:
> >> I do have a /usr/bin/aclocal which is GNU automake 1.5.
> >> Why is it looking in /usr/bin/../share/?
> >
> > Oh. I ran into the same problem when I tried to make the 1.0.0
> > tarball in
> > a RH 6.2 (with updated autotools in $HOME/josander/bin). Karl Fogel
> > had to do that tarball for me because I could not.
> >
> > Have you succeeded with a previous tarball in AIX?
>
> Yes, I didn't have this trouble with the 0.37 tarball.  That built
> fine once I figured out the correct compiler flags.

I'm, sorry that I can't help you.

The 0.37 tarball was made on Linux Slackware 9.1 (with its autotools
unmodified). I hope that info can help others to understand this
problem. It have the "right" versions of all the autotools included.

Jostein

--
http://www.josander.net/kontakt/ ||
http://www.josander.net/en/contact/

Re: /home/kfogal needed for AIX 5.1 compile of 1.0.1?

Posted by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net>.

Posted by Travis P <tw...@castle.fastmail.fm>.
On Mar 16, 2004, at 9:15 AM, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:

> On Tuesday 16 March 2004 16.02, Travis P wrote:

>>> True, but try it anyway.
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion.  That fails with its own error.
>>
>> % ./autogen.sh
>> buildcheck: checking installation...
>> buildcheck: autoconf version 2.53 (ok)
>> buildcheck: autoheader version 2.53 (ok)
>> buildcheck: libtool version 1.4.3 (ok)
>> buildcheck: neon version 0.24.4 (ok)
>> ./autogen.sh[59]: /usr/bin/../share/aclocal:  not found.
>> /pkg-aix51/build/subversion-1.0.1/libtool.m4 not found
>>
>> I do have a /usr/bin/aclocal which is GNU automake 1.5.
>> Why is it looking in /usr/bin/../share/?
>
> Oh. I ran into the same problem when I tried to make the 1.0.0 tarball
> in
> a RH 6.2 (with updated autotools in $HOME/josander/bin). Karl Fogel had
> to do that tarball for me because I could not.
>
> Have you succeeded with a previous tarball in AIX?

Yes, I didn't have this trouble with the 0.37 tarball.  That built fine
once I figured out the correct compiler flags.

-Travis

Re: /home/kfogal needed for AIX 5.1 compile of 1.0.1?

Posted by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net>.

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@manyfish.co.uk>.
On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 02:07:49PM -0600, Travis P wrote:
> I  had to make the following modification to neon/src/ne_utils.c
> because something was defining const to the empty string and then the
> ne_version_string function definition in ne_utils.c was conflicting
> with the definition for that function in ne_utils.h where const was not
> so defined.

Interesting: it looks like zlib will #define const to nothing on some
platforms.  If you undo your change, and move the "#include <zlib.h>" up
above the #include's for ne_*, does that also work?

(the zlib 1.2.0 changelog mentions it might fix this for AIX, if you're
using that version or older you should report this as a bug to
zlib@gzip.org)

joe

Re: /home/kfogal needed for AIX 5.1 compile of 1.0.1?

Posted by Travis P <tw...@castle.fastmail.fm>.
On Mar 16, 2004, at 10:34 AM, Joe Orton wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 09:02:31AM -0600, Travis P wrote:

>>> True, but try it anyway.
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion.  That fails with its own error.
>
> I'd try doing
>
> cp apr/build/apr_rules.mk apr-util/build/rules.mk

I got a lot of errors when I did that copy; but it might have been my
own fault.  I had "-L <dir>" rather than "-L<dir>" and that jumped out
at me at some point.  Correcting that and also adding a minimal PATH
make the funny /home/kfogal problem go away.   So, I finally found a
formula that worked with one manual configuration correction during the
build.

For the record and anyone else in a similar situation, my successful
compilation used this configure script:
=======
zlib=/pkg-aix51/zlib-1.1.4
ssl=/pkg-aix51/openssl-0.9.7c

export PATH=$ssl/bin:/usr/bin
export CC=xlc_r
export CFLAGS='-O -qmaxmem=-1 -qlanglvl=extended'
export CPPFLAGS="-I$ssl/include  -I$zlib/include"
export LDFLAGS="-L$ssl/lib -L$zlib/lib"

./configure
--prefix=/gsys/pkg-aix51/subversion-1.0.1
--without-berkeley-db --enable-shared=no --with-ssl --with-zlib 2>&1 |
tee co.conf
========

I  had to make the following modification to neon/src/ne_utils.c
because something was defining const to the empty string and then the
ne_version_string function definition in ne_utils.c was conflicting
with the definition for that function in ne_utils.h where const was not
so defined.

***************
*** 111,116 ****
--- 111,117 ----
      "."
   ;

+ #undef const
   const char *ne_version_string(void)
   {
       return version_string;

Not pretty, but I'm happy that I think I've now got a working 1.0.1
client.  Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions.

-Travis

Re: /home/kfogal needed for AIX 5.1 compile of 1.0.1?

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@manyfish.co.uk>.
On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 09:02:31AM -0600, Travis P wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2004, at 7:39 AM, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:

> >>That should never be necessary from a release tarball.
> >
> >True, but try it anyway.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.  That fails with its own error.

I'd try doing

cp apr/build/apr_rules.mk apr-util/build/rules.mk

to get rid of the rules.mk in the tarball; it would probably be
necessary to see the output of configure to see why that didn't get
overwritten tas normal.

joe

Re: /home/kfogal needed for AIX 5.1 compile of 1.0.1?

Posted by Travis P <tw...@castle.fastmail.fm>.

Posted by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net>.

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> writes:
> Yup.  This is the most troublesome part of the release process.  I
> have a few ideas on how to resolve this and clean the process up.
> Alas, it'll probably take me until late next week until I have enough
> time to focus on this.  I'm not sure when we're planning for the next
> release - if it is even scheduled yet.  -- justin

IMHO, not for a while, so no need to worry about a week's delay.

Next release is not scheduled yet, and Ben Collins-Sussman and I are
sitting down tomorrow with a printout of the issues database, to do
some sweeping, with the ultimate goal of making a 1.1 proposal here.
In the spirit of Greg Stein's "no drive-by proposals", we feel we
should do some homework before proposing a roadmap :-).  We've got
locking on the brain, but we need to get a sense of the issues already
out there before trying to schedule.

(The issues sweep will also cover a possible 1.0.2.)

-Karl

Re: /home/kfogal needed for AIX 5.1 compile of 1.0.1?

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Joe Orton <jo...@manyfish.co.uk> writes:
> That should never be necessary from a release tarball.  It looks like
> the generated apr-util/build/rules.mk is included in the 1.0.1 tarball,
> which might be the problem.
>
> $ grep -r kfogel apr-util/
> apr-util/build/rules.mk:apr_builddir=/home/kfogel/src/1.0.x/apr
> apr-util/build/rules.mk:apr_builders=/home/kfogel/src/1.0.x/apr/build

I think the procedures in releases.txt are going to need some
rethinking.  Step 5(b) says

   b) Run './autogen.sh && ./configure' so the design docs can get
      built in the branch tree (in step 4, dist.sh will move the built
      design docs into the release sandbox).

The problem with this is that it configures the apr/ and apr-util/
that are about to be copied into the distribution.  Someone even
pointed out this problem to me around the time of the release -- was
it CMike?  Can't remember, but anyway, I shrugged it off at the
time, saying "Well, we've used these procedures for all previous
releases and they seem to work."  Seems I was wrong, at least in
thinking that it was harmless.

It would be much cleaner if, instead of requiring that apr/ and