Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jay Vee <jv...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/06 22:18:36 UTC

how to reply

I subscribed to this email list using the digest format; How do I freaking
reply now?

I see a reply to a previous response, to construct a reply I have to
cut-copy-paste into another message.  It's not easy.

Can you people install forum software already and get rid of the freaking
email list? cheez.

Re: how to reply

Posted by "Terence M. Bandoian" <te...@tmbsw.com>.
On 11/6/2013 3:18 PM, Jay Vee wrote:
> I subscribed to this email list using the digest format; How do I freaking
> reply now?
>
> I see a reply to a previous response, to construct a reply I have to
> cut-copy-paste into another message.  It's not easy.
>
> Can you people install forum software already and get rid of the freaking
> email list? cheez.

Hi, Jay-

Recent versions of Thunderbird allow each attachment to be opened and
responded to individually.  For the Tomcat mailing list digest, each
message is a separate attachment.

-Terence Bandoian

Re: how to reply

Posted by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>.
On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 02:18:36PM -0700, Jay Vee wrote:
> I subscribed to this email list using the digest format; How do I freaking
> reply now?

Ask the people who made your email user agent.  It's their problem.
Digest format is standardized, but every client implementation is
different.

> I see a reply to a previous response, to construct a reply I have to
> cut-copy-paste into another message.  It's not easy.

Indeed.  That's one reason I never resorted to digest format.

> Can you people install forum software already and get rid of the freaking
> email list? cheez.

I sincerely hope not.  I'd have to write something to scrape the
messages out of the forum and turn them into email.

Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.

Re: how to reply

Posted by "Howard W. Smith, Jr." <sm...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 9:42 PM, Konstantin Kolinko
<kn...@gmail.com>wrote:

> There are too many goodies with mailing lists. The forums are lacking much.

+1

I am quite active in forum.primefaces.org, and I get email alerts to my @
hotmail.com account and have to go to the primefaces forum and read/reply,
but it is much much nicer having (Apache) tomcat/tomee/activemq mail lists
sending emails to my @gmail.com account, and I can use the nice features of
gmail from Google Chrome browser on my desktop and mobile devices and
read/reply, accordingly, if interested/necessary.

And gmail.com now groups 'forum' emails (optional, per your preference), so
emails from Apache mail lists are grouped under the Forums tab. i'm loving
all that (and more).

Re: how to reply

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2013/11/7 Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>:
> On 11/6/13, 4:18 PM, Jay Vee wrote:
>> I subscribed to this email list using the digest format; How do I
>> freaking reply now?
>>
>> I see a reply to a previous response, to construct a reply I have
>> to cut-copy-paste into another message.  It's not easy.
>
> Subscribe to the non-digest form of the list?

+1.

2) If it is your thread, ask people to CC you.

Asking for CC is common on other mailing lists where non-subscribers may post.

3) It might be that there are some mail clients that are able to deal properly
with that format.

Maybe this:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/undigestify/

>> Can you people install forum software already and get rid of the
>> freaking email list? cheez.

There are too many goodies with mailing lists. The forums are lacking much.

For example, there are numerous archives of these lists, managed by
third parties.
Have you searched those for previous threads on this subject?

Anyway, Nabble provides forum GUI for these lists. Maybe there are other similar
services by other third parties.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: how to reply