Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> on 2013/09/16 20:25:57 UTC

Branching for 0.98

Hi all,

Unless there are concerns, I would like to set the date for branching 0.98
out from trunk at one month post the release date of 0.96.0. A RC can be
expected to follow within days, depending on the state of unit tests, the
availability of new 0.96 -> 0.98 upgrade compatibility testing developed
for the release, and the results of that compatibility testing.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Branching for 0.98

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Earlier discussion suggested people wanted 0.98 to come quickly after 0.96.
I'm fine with that, and am proceeding on that understanding. A longer span,
say December, or let's just say no later than +3 months from 0.96.0, I also
think makes sense. No question 0.98 is a stepping stone to 1.0, and I have
the sense we want to get to 1.0 soon.

What do people prefer? It is not my intent to impose an arbitrary timetable.

> Will 96 and 98 be compatible (rolling upgrade, etc.)?

Yes.

> If yes, should the features be included in 96 dot releases instead.

Some things slated for 0.98 were not included in 0.96 and my understanding
is they will not go in there, but I could easily be mistaken.

Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Branching for 0.98

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Sergey Shelukhin <se...@hortonworks.com>wrote:

> The question is, why is it coming so fast after 96? How is that explained
> to the users, that's what I meant by "official message". The new features
> could come on normal cadence (December-ish?).

We explain it by saying there is a new major release with a few new
features in it.

And after 0.98, there'll be another release in a few months w/ yet more new
features (hopefully a 1.0.0 if 0.98 is not 1.0.0).

We'd like to get back on to a cadence where a new major release comes out
every 2-3 months.  We need to put this over-long 0.96 incubation behind us.
  Short cycles are easier on all concerned; less risk upgrading, less
pressure on devs to make the release date -- they can just catch next one
(as per Lars's precedent over in 0.94).

> If these features are stable, is 98 is just a "better 96"? Why would anyone
> use 96 then when 98 is coming out immediately?

Because they might think 0.96 more stable since it has been baked longer
than the new 0.98 release.  Intent would be that they could upgrade to the
0.98 with a rolling restart anyways so no need to wait on 0.98.

> If we are doing that we
> might as well delay 96 to get them instead of doing another major release
> in a month (wearing the vendor-independent hat).

0.96 has been going on for way too long already.  It can't wait any more.

If for some, 0.96 is a 'dead' release because they'll go direct to 0.98 or
1.0.0 direct, well and good.

St.Ack

Re: Branching for 0.98

Posted by Sergey Shelukhin <se...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Branching for 0.98

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Sergey Shelukhin <se...@hortonworks.com>wrote:

> What is the "official message"/purpose of 98? I was meaning to ask for some
> time, this thread might be as good a place as any.
> In a month after 96 release, people might not have even upgraded from 94 to
> 96 yet, now there's suddenly 98.
>

> On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org
> >wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Unless there are concerns, I would like to set the date for branching
> 0.98
> > out from trunk at one month post the release date of 0.96.0. A RC can be
> > expected to follow within days, depending on the state of unit tests, the
> > availability of new 0.96 -> 0.98 upgrade compatibility testing developed
> > for the release, and the results of that compatibility testing.
> >
> > --
> > Best regards,
> >
> >    - Andy

> > (via Tom White)