Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Prometheus <pr...@gmx.com> on 2018/05/13 10:34:54 UTC

Tomcat8/Apache/Debian: Unable to start guacamole HTTP Status 404 and exceptions in tomcat logs

Hi, I am trying to make guacamole (0.9.9+dfsg-1) to run under Debian
(unstable). The default tomcat installed using apt along with guacamole
is tomcat8. The problem is that I get HTTP Status 404 when trying to
access http://myhost:8080/guacamole

I look into the log files of tomcat and I see that there are two
exceptions shown below (or visit https://paste.gnome.org/pgnkvfvs4)
but I haven't managed to find any info on these:

13-May-2018 13:05:54.205 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Server
version:        Apache Tomcat/8.5.30 (Debian)
13-May-2018 13:05:54.208 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Server
built:          Apr 12 2018 07:49:28 UTC
13-May-2018 13:05:54.208 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Server
number:         8.5.30.0
13-May-2018 13:05:54.208 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log OS
Name:               Linux
13-May-2018 13:05:54.208 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log OS
Version:            4.16.0-1-amd64
13-May-2018 13:05:54.208 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log
Architecture:          amd64
13-May-2018 13:05:54.208 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Java
Home:             /usr/lib/jvm/java-10-openjdk-amd64
13-May-2018 13:05:54.208 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log JVM
Version:           10.0.1+10-Debian-4
13-May-2018 13:05:54.208 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log JVM
Vendor:            Oracle Corporation
13-May-2018 13:05:54.208 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log
CATALINA_BASE:         /var/lib/tomcat8
13-May-2018 13:05:54.209 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log
CATALINA_HOME:         /usr/share/tomcat8
13-May-2018 13:05:54.209 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument: --add-opens=java.base/java.lang=ALL-UNNAMED
13-May-2018 13:05:54.210 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument: --add-opens=java.base/java.io=ALL-UNNAMED
13-May-2018 13:05:54.210 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument: --add-opens=java.rmi/sun.rmi.transport=ALL-UNNAMED
13-May-2018 13:05:54.210 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument:
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=/var/lib/tomcat8/conf/logging.propertie
13-May-2018 13:05:54.210 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument:
-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
13-May-2018 13:05:54.210 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument: -Djava.awt.headless=true
13-May-2018 13:05:54.210 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument: -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
13-May-2018 13:05:54.210 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument: -Djdk.tls.ephemeralDHKeySize=2048
13-May-2018 13:05:54.210 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument: -Djava.protocol.handler.pkgs=org.apache.catalina.webresources
13-May-2018 13:05:54.210 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument: -Dorg.apache.catalina.security.SecurityListener.UMASK=0027
13-May-2018 13:05:54.210 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument: -Dignore.endorsed.dirs=
13-May-2018 13:05:54.210 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument: -Dcatalina.base=/var/lib/tomcat8
13-May-2018 13:05:54.210 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument: -Dcatalina.home=/usr/share/tomcat8
13-May-2018 13:05:54.211 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line
argument: -Djava.io.tmpdir=/tmp/tomcat8-tomcat8-tmp
13-May-2018 13:05:54.211 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener.lifecycleEvent Loaded APR
based Apache Tomcat Native library [1.2.16] using APR version [1.6.3].
13-May-2018 13:05:54.211 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener.lifecycleEvent APR
capabilities: IPv6 [true], sendfile [true], accept filters [false],
random [true].
13-May-2018 13:05:54.211 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener.lifecycleEvent
APR/OpenSSL configuration: useAprConnector [false], useOpenSSL [true]
13-May-2018 13:05:54.213 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener.initializeSSL OpenSSL
successfully initialized [OpenSSL 1.1.0h  27 Mar 2018]
13-May-2018 13:05:54.239 INFO [main]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.init Initializing ProtocolHandler
["http-nio-8080"]
13-May-2018 13:05:54.255 INFO [main]
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioSelectorPool.getSharedSelector Using a
shared selector for servlet write/read
13-May-2018 13:05:54.260 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load Initialization processed in
412 ms
13-May-2018 13:05:54.298 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.startInternal Starting service
[Catalina]
13-May-2018 13:05:54.299 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.startInternal Starting Servlet
Engine: Apache Tomcat/8.5.30 (Debian)
13-May-2018 13:05:54.308 INFO [localhost-startStop-1]
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor Deploying
configuration descriptor
[/etc/tomcat8/Catalina/localhost/guacamole.xml]
13-May-2018 13:05:54.538 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1]
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal
ContainerBase.addChild: start:
 org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component
[StandardEngine[Catalina].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/guac
amole]]
	at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:167)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.j
ava:754)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:730)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:734)
	at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor(HostConfig.java
:629)
	at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployDescriptor.run(HostConfig.
java:1838)
	at
java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors
.java:514)
	at
java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264)
	at
java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolE
xecutor.java:1135)
	at
java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPool
Executor.java:635)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.util.scan.StandardJarScanner.process(StandardJarScann
er.java:373)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.util.scan.StandardJarScanner.scan(StandardJarScanner.
java:191)
	at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.processJarsForWebFragments(Co
ntextConfig.java:1888)
	at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.webConfig(ContextConfig.java:
1116)
	at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.configureStart(ContextConfig.
java:765)
	at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.lifecycleEvent(ContextConfig.
java:299)
	at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleBase
.java:94)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.
java:5138)
	at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
	... 10 more

13-May-2018 13:05:54.540 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1]
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor Error deploying
configuration descriptor
[/etc/tomcat8/Catalina/localhost/guacamole.xml]
 java.lang.IllegalStateException: ContainerBase.addChild: start:
org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component
[StandardEngine[Catalina].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/guac
amole]]
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.j
ava:758)
[...]

13-May-2018 13:05:54.541 INFO [localhost-startStop-1]
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor Deployment of
configuration descriptor
[/etc/tomcat8/Catalina/localhost/guacamole.xml] has finished in [232]
ms
13-May-2018 13:05:54.542 INFO [localhost-startStop-1]
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deploying web
application directory [/var/lib/tomcat8/webapps/ROOT]
13-May-2018 13:05:54.889 INFO [localhost-startStop-1]
org.apache.jasper.servlet.TldScanner.scanJars At least one JAR was
scanned for TLDs yet contained no TLDs. Enable debug logging for this
logger for a complete list of JARs that were scanned but no TLDs were
found in them. Skipping unneeded JARs during scanning can improve
startup time and JSP compilation time.
13-May-2018 13:09:14.169 WARNING [localhost-startStop-1]
org.apache.catalina.util.SessionIdGeneratorBase.createSecureRandom
Creation of SecureRandom instance for session ID generation using
[SHA1PRNG] took [199,277] milliseconds.
13-May-2018 13:09:14.183 INFO [localhost-startStop-1]
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deployment of
web application directory [/var/lib/tomcat8/webapps/ROOT] has finished
in [199,641] ms
13-May-2018 13:09:14.187 INFO [main]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.start Starting ProtocolHandler
["http-nio-8080"]
13-May-2018 13:09:14.196 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start Server startup in 181336 ms

Any advice is welcomed:)

Re: Tomcat8/Apache/Debian: Unable to start guacamole HTTP Status 404 and exceptions in tomcat logs

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 6:34 AM, Prometheus <pr...@gmx.com> wrote:

> Hi, I am trying to make guacamole (0.9.9+dfsg-1) to run under Debian
> (unstable). The default tomcat installed using apt along with guacamole
> is tomcat8. The problem is that I get HTTP Status 404 when trying to
> access http://myhost:8080/guacamole
>
> I look into the log files of tomcat and I see that there are two
> exceptions shown below (or visit https://paste.gnome.org/pgnkvfvs4)
> but I haven't managed to find any info on these:

Okay, a couple of things jump out to me:
- You're using a very old version of Guacamole.  0.9.9 is several years old
- we're at 0.9.14, now, with a 1.0.0 release looming somewhere out in the
near-future.  Also, I've no idea what the +dfsg-1 part of that release
number is - looks like either a distribution-specific release, or one that
someone else came up with.  I'd start by using the latest version from the
Guacamole web site, http://guacamole.apache.org.
- The reason you're getting a 404 error is because the application is not
deploying, at all.  The exceptions you note are preventing it from working,
so there is no application present at /guacamole, which causes Tomcat to
throw a 404 error.  I'm not entirely certain what the error you're getting
means and why exactly it's occurring, but I'll venture two guesses.  First,
there's an error about the guacamole.xml context configuration in the
tomcat configuration directory.  I'm not sure if you've tried to manually
create that or if it was part of whatever version of guacamole you
installed, but something about that XML file may be causing problems.
Second, it's possible that the JAR that you're trying to deploy is invalid
- corrupted, zero size, something like that.  Could be wrong about both of
those, just my speculation.

Best advice at this point is to go get the latest version from the
Guacamole web site and deploy that, and read the deployment instructions,
there.

-Nick