Posted to users@zeppelin.apache.org by Ankur Jain <an...@yash.com> on 2016/04/08 13:23:15 UTC

R Interpreter

Hello Team,

To use R interpreter do we need to install R , evaluate and other R packages manually?
Or adding -Pr takes care of that?

Regards,
Ankur
Information transmitted by this e-mail is proprietary to YASH Technologies and/ or its Customers and is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this information in any manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please notify us immediately at info@yash.com and delete this mail from your records.

Re: R Interpreter

Posted by Jeff Steinmetz <je...@gmail.com>.
To run either of the R interpreters (with -Pr or -Psparkr), you will need to install R on the server (or dev machine) running zeppelin, as well any R packages you wish to use.
Knitr as well.  knitr will also pull in the `evaluate` R package as a dependency, so there is no need to explicitly install evaluate.

If you use the virtual machine script, the latest version (on the Master branch 0.6.0 snapshot) will set all of this up for you.
If you use Ansible as your deployment tool, you could also borrow this Ansible script to get all of R dependencies.
This role will also install all of the useful tools and plotting packages required to test the `R tutorial` notebook when built with -Psparkr
You could also borrow the steps in this role if you wish to do this manually.

Ansible Role:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-zeppelin/tree/master/scripts/vagrant/zeppelin-dev/roles/r

https://github.com/apache/incubator-zeppelin/blob/master/scripts/vagrant/zeppelin-dev/roles/r/tasks/main.yml

ReadMe:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-zeppelin/tree/master/scripts/vagrant/zeppelin-dev

This will soon be updated to reflect the addition of the R installation:

Docs:
https://zeppelin.incubator.apache.org/docs/0.6.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT/install/virtual_machine.html

Best
Jeff

Re: R Interpreter

Posted by Jeff Steinmetz <je...@gmail.com>.

RE: R Interpreter

Posted by Ankur Jain <an...@yash.com>.
Thanks Amos, Jeff,

I resolved issue at my end, I installed R and knitr on my EMR cluster first and then used -Pr .

Thanks
Ankur

You do have to install R, otherwise the interpreter won't be able to install itself.  You should also install knitr; this isn't strictly necessary, and you probably already have it installed.  The one thing I know has to be installed manually, is the `repr` package.  There are instructions in the manual page.

Re: R Interpreter

Posted by Amos Elberg <am...@me.com>.
Ankur -

Re: R Interpreter

Posted by "Amos B. Elberg" <am...@gmail.com>.
Ankur - I haven't tried this, but if you have R installed, installing with -Pr may actually pull in knitr and evaluate.

Either way, one package that definitely will have to be installed manually, is 'repr'. There are instructions for doing this on the manual page.

Re: R Interpreter

Posted by Minudika Malshan <mi...@gmail.com>.
+looping to users@

Re: R Interpreter