Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Mathieu Simon <ma...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/02 09:26:50 UTC

Building 2.0.9-dev on Windows w. httpd 2.4

Dear List

For whatever reason I wanted (and also would have a certain need) to build
mod_perl
to work with Apache 2.4 on Windows. ;-)

I've tried building 2.0.9-dev (master r1624218) with XAMPP 1.8.3 's (httpd
2.4.10) with several Strawberry Perl (portable) version and always fail
with the same errors. maybe I'm just doing it wrong but I haven't yet
figured out where to go from here. apxs doesn't seem to be part of XAMPP
but it seems to recognize the httpd folder.

Below is the output (Straberry Perl 5.16 32-bit)

Best regards
Mathieu

OUTPUT:

perl Makefile.PL
no conflicting prior mod_perl version found - good.

Next we need to know where the 'apxs' script is located. This script
provides a lot of information about the Apache installation, and makes
it easier to find things on your system. Normally it's located in the
same directory as the 'httpd' executable.

If you don't yet have Apache installed you can build Apache against
the Apache source code, but you won't be able to run the test suite (a
very important step). Therefore you may want to install Apache before
proceeding.

Please provide a full path to 'apxs' executable
(press Enter if you don't have it installed):

Configure mod_perl with c:\xampp\apache? [y]
Configuring Apache/2.4.10 mod_perl/2.0.9dev Perl/v5.16.3
Use of uninitialized value $httpd_version in string lt at
lib/ModPerl/MapUtil.pm
 line 51.
Warning (mostly harmless): No library found for
<path-to>l/mod_perl-dev/src/module
s/perl/mod_perl.lib
ERROR from evaluation of M:\devel\mod_perl-dev\Apache-Reload/Makefile.PL:
Use of
 uninitialized value $v in substitution (s///) at
Apache-Test/lib/Apache/TestRun
.pm line 1100.

Re: Building 2.0.9-dev on Windows w. httpd 2.4

Posted by Mathieu Simon <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Richard

That sounds interesting - the most time I've spent installing GB's of
Windows developer tools.
Compiling all from scratch (I tried it a bit, but also failed - guess:
PEBKAC) wasn't in the scope, so
I'd really like to give that download a test, unfortunately the link
doesn't work "Please enter a valid search string to continue."

Could you re-post it?

Best regards
Mat

RE: Building 2.0.9-dev on Windows w. httpd 2.4

Posted by "Kandarian, Richard Mansfield" <ri...@lanl.gov>.
When I did this I built everything: Perl, httpd, and mod_perl myself using VC2008 without using the IDE.

Richard Kandarian
http://www.lanl.gov/cgi-bin/fonelink.pl/085598
My node in the Web: http://www.kandarian.com
<http://www.kandarian.com/>

Posted by Steve Hay <st...@googlemail.com>.
You need to build perl yourself using VC/nmake too or else find some
other binary build using VC/nmake because ActivePerl actually uses
gcc/dmake just like Strawberry Perl these days...

Posted by Mathieu Simon <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Mathieu Simon <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hey Steve and list

Thanks

> I'm not familiar with XAMPP, but I don't believe you can currently
> build mod_perl with Strawberry Perl because mod_perl doesn't support
> building with dmake.

Aha, so I guess a Visual Studio is required then?
Let me give it a whirl then. :-)

-- Mathieu

Re: Building 2.0.9-dev on Windows w. httpd 2.4

Posted by Steve Hay <st...@googlemail.com>.