Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Laird Nelson <lj...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/27 18:48:01 UTC

What does the "tag" parameter for release:branch do?

I can't figure out what the tag parameter is supposed to do for the
maven-release-plugin branch goal.  Could someone point me at some alternate
source of documentation?

The maven-release-plugin branch goal simply says (
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-release-plugin/branch-mojo.html#tag):

The SCM tag to use.

...Use to do...to do what?

Best,
Laird

--
http://about.me/lairdnelson

Re: What does the "tag" parameter for release:branch do?

Posted by Laird Nelson <lj...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 5:27 AM, Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@artifact-software.com
> wrote:

> Or is could create a tag for the release.

What release?  release:branch creates a branch, not a release; what would
make sense to tag here?

Best,
Laird

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Or is could create a tag for the release.
That would make sense, I think.

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler
President

Re: What does the "tag" parameter for release:branch do?

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
With one of my latest commits for the maven-release-plugin I've added an
extra AbstractMojo layer, which should contain all scm-related parameters.

Main reason is the update-versions goal [1]
It says: ... without making other modifications to the SCM such as tagging.
All scm-related won't be used and cause a lot of confusion.
So first improvements have recently been committed, but there's still room
for more.

Robert

[1]
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-release-plugin/update-versions-mojo.html