Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jack Li <JL...@MurraysDiscount.com> on 2001/12/18 22:44:14 UTC

How to Increasing Tomcat memory?

Hi,

I need to allocate more memory to Tomcat 3.2.1. How can I do it? I know to
put -Xms somewhere. What is the exact lines to put and where to put the
line?

Thanks,
Jack

Re: How to Increasing Tomcat memory?

Posted by Jeff Kilbride <je...@kilbride.com>.
Hi Jack,

You should use the TOMCAT_OPTS environment variable to set these options.
So, create an environment variable called TOMCAT_OPTS and set it equal to
the following:

"-Xms32M -Xmx64M"

This will set the initial size of the JVM heap to 32MB and the max size to
64MB. Replace these values with whatever you require and you're all set. The
startup script for Tomcat looks for the TOMCAT_OPTS env. variable and
automatically appends it's contents to the command line when starting the
JVM.

I recommend that you upgrade to at least version 3.2.4, due to security bugs
that have been fixed in 3.2.1 and 3.2.2. None of your configuration files
need to be changed. Just swap out the jar files in your TOMCAT_HOME/lib
directory with the new ones.

Thanks,
--jeff