Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2004/06/02 02:31:23 UTC

Re: JerichoFaces ?

For the sake of clarity, I'm crossposting this one message, but otherwise only respond to this thread on the dev list. People interested in this sort of thing should subscribe to the dev list. (Please, please, do.)

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:52:07 -0800, Dakota Jack wrote:
>�My discussion of Struts being on the chopping block (look deeply
>�into that chicken's eyes ;-) ) is based on seeing the controller
>�mechanism, what Craig now calls a "monolithic" controller, being
>�jettisoned.

Here are the true facts:

Most of us eat our own dog food. Most of us (meaning the committers) use Struts in real life, in our own projects, just like you. We all work with different teams, on projects of different scales.

So long as we need Struts 1.x ourselves, then Struts 1.x will continue to be improved and maintained. If this particular group of Struts committers all moved to JSF and wanted to use Shale, and some other group of committers wanted to maintain Struts 1.x instead, then I'd be the first to start nominating people.

Struts is an ASF project, and this is the foundation in a nutshell:

* As long as there is a community of developers who are ready, willing, and able to roll up their sleeves and maintain a codebase, then the codebase will live on. Indefinitely.

Our one and only business model is whether there are volunteers to do the work. Nothing else matters.

So, next, I'm going to spend some of my volunteer hours getting Struts 1.2.x ready for a .6 release. After that, we can go on to Struts 1.3.x, featuring Common Chain. We're not always quick, but we are steady.

-Ted.