Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/24 01:00:50 UTC

[VOTE] 1.0.0 RC3

Hello Kafka users, developers and client-developers,

This is the third candidate for release of Apache Kafka 1.0.0. The main PRs
that gets merged in after RC1 are the following:

https://github.com/apache/kafka/commit/dc6bfa553e73ffccd1e604963e076c
78d8ddcd69

It's worth noting that starting in this version we are using a different
version protocol with three digits: *major.minor.bug-fix*

Any and all testing is welcome, but the following areas are worth
highlighting:

1. Client developers should verify that their clients can produce/consume
to/from 1.0.0 brokers (ideally with compressed and uncompressed data).
2. Performance and stress testing. Heroku and LinkedIn have helped with
this in the past (and issues have been found and fixed).
3. End users can verify that their apps work correctly with the new release.

This is a major version release of Apache Kafka. It includes 29 new KIPs.
See the release notes and release plan
(*https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=71764913
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=71764913>*)
for more details. A few feature highlights:

* Java 9 support with significantly faster TLS and CRC32C implementations
* JBOD improvements: disk failure only disables failed disk but not the
broker (KIP-112/KIP-113 part I)
* Controller improvements: reduced logging change to greatly accelerate
admin request handling.
* Newly added metrics across all the modules (KIP-164, KIP-168, KIP-187,
KIP-188, KIP-196)
* Kafka Streams API improvements (KIP-120 / 130 / 138 / 150 / 160 / 161),
and drop compatibility "Evolving" annotations

Release notes for the 1.0.0 release:
*http://home.apache.org/~guozhang/kafka-1.0.0-rc3/RELEASE_NOTES.html
<http://home.apache.org/~guozhang/kafka-1.0.0-rc3/RELEASE_NOTES.html>*

*** Please download, test and vote by Friday, October 20, 8pm PT

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
http://kafka.apache.org/KEYS

* Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):
*http://home.apache.org/~guozhang/kafka-1.0.0-rc3/
<http://home.apache.org/~guozhang/kafka-1.0.0-rc3/>*

* Maven artifacts to be voted upon:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/kafka/

* Javadoc:
*http://home.apache.org/~guozhang/kafka-1.0.0-rc3/javadoc/
<http://home.apache.org/~guozhang/kafka-1.0.0-rc3/javadoc/>*

* Tag to be voted upon (off 1.0 branch) is the 1.0.0-rc2 tag:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=kafka.git;a=tag;h=7774b0da8ead0d9edd1d4b2f7e1cd743af694112

* Documentation:
Note the documentation can't be pushed live due to changes that will not go
live until the release. You can manually verify by downloading
http://home.apache.org/~guozhang/kafka-1.0.0-rc3/kafka_2.11-1.0.0-site-docs.tgz

I will update this thread with up coming Jenkins builds for this RC later,
they are currently being executed and will be done tomorrow.

/**************************************

Thanks,
-- Guozhang

Re: [VOTE] 1.0.0 RC3

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
The deadline would be:

"Please download, test and vote by Friday, October 27, 8pm PT"

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [VOTE] 1.0.0 RC3

Posted by Dana Powers <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 1.0.0 RC3

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Ted:

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [VOTE] 1.0.0 RC3

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Re: [kafka-clients] [VOTE] 1.0.0 RC3

Posted by Dana Powers <da...@gmail.com>.
+1. passed kafka-python integration tests, and manually verified
producer/consumer on both compressed and non-compressed data.

-Dana

Posted by Dana Powers <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 1.0.0 RC3

Posted by Jaikiran Pai <ja...@gmail.com>.
A minor request about the RC releases in context of Maven - Right now,
these RC releases are being released into (Apache staging) Maven
repository using the version number of the final release. So each RC1,
RC2, RC3 and so on, all end up in Maven repo as 1.0.0 [1]. For using
these as dependencies in some of our test projects, we end up adding a
dependency on 1.0.0. In Maven land, a non-snapshot release (like this
one) is considered "never changing" which means that a locally
downloaded version of 1.0.0 is given preference to any new updates to
the same version at a remote repo (like this staging repo). So a
subsequent test will end up using the local version even if a new RC is
released.

Could these releases into Maven be made such that they have the same
version number as the RC number. So something like 1.0.0.RC3 being a
actual version number in the Maven repo? That way any new RC release
would mean just changing the version number in our dependencies and
being sure it pulls in the right version.

[1]
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/kafka/kafka_2.12/1.0.0/

-Jaikiran