Posted to dev@santuario.apache.org by Pe...@elekta.com on 2006/03/15 16:17:08 UTC

Build issues on RedHat enterprise 4

Dear XMLSEC developers,

I am new here so forgive me if I am wrong here, but I have a few
problems....

First of all I can't build xalan 1.9.0 with gcc 3.4.4.
That has been reported as a bug and fixed in r342313 in svn.
So this led me to checking out r342313 from svn.

I usually build with --prefix to be able to have several versions of all
stuff in a neat order.
This goes ok as expected with both xalan and xerces.
I ran runConfigure with -P/work/xalan/1.9.0

Now when I try to point out these directories where I have installed xerces
and xalan
for XMLSEC, by setting XALANCROOT nad XERCESCROOT to the directories
where I have installed xerces and xalan the configure script complains.
Obviously the configure script want me to point out the source distribution
directory,
not the place where I have installed.

My first question:
Is it a correct behaviour to expect the source distro to be present in
XALANCROOT and XERCESCROOT?
Shouldn't it be enough with the installed stuff ( in my case the dir
/work/xalan/1.9.0
where I have the dirs bin, include, lib.)

My second question:
running configure --prefix=/work/xml-security/1.2.1. Then compiling
will only result in installing the dir named include. It seems like lib and
bin are missing here.
Shouldn't at least lib also be installed in /work/xml-security/1.2.1?

Best regards,
Peter

The contents of this e-mail message (including any attachments hereto) are
confidential to and are intended to be conveyed for the use of the
recipient to whom it is addressed only. If you receive this transmission in
error, please notify the sender of this immediately and delete the message
from your system. Any distribution, reproduction or use of this message by
someone other than recipient is not authorized and may be unlawful.

Re: Build issues on RedHat enterprise 4

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.
Peter.Nordlund@elekta.com wrote:

> Thanks a lot Berin!
>
> Next question, a bit related to my build problems.
>
> I have no clue if this is good suggestion, or if it has some unexpected
> side effects or so.
>
> Have you considered stepping the Xalan version to 1.10.0?
>
> As far as I have investigated, 1.10.0 compiles ok on RedHat Enterprise 4.
> But I have no idea how well it works on other OSes.

The only reason it's marked as an earlier version on the web site is
that it was the version current when 1.2 was released.  I regularly run
against Xalan SVN and haven't had anything I had to modify in a long
time.  So I think it should compile cleanly against 1.10 - haven't
explicitly tested, but should be fine.

Cheers,
	Berin

Re: Build issues on RedHat enterprise 4

Posted by Pe...@elekta.com.

Thanks a lot Berin!

Next question, a bit related to my build problems.

I have no clue if this is good suggestion, or if it has some unexpected
side effects or so.

Have you considered stepping the Xalan version to 1.10.0?

As far as I have investigated, 1.10.0 compiles ok on RedHat Enterprise 4.
But I have no idea how well it works on other OSes.

/Peter

             Berin Lautenbach
             <berin@wingsofher
             mes.org>                                                   To
                                       security-dev@xml.apache.org

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: Build issues on RedHat
             security-dev@xml.         enterprise 4
                apache.org

Peter.Nordlund@elekta.com wrote:

> My first question:
> Is it a correct behaviour to expect the source distro to be present in
> XALANCROOT and XERCESCROOT?
> Shouldn't it be enough with the installed stuff ( in my case the dir
> /work/xalan/1.9.0
> where I have the dirs bin, include, lib.)

It is the expected behaviour - but I'd agree it's not correct.  I will
look at it (probably on the weekend).  Really configure should be able
to work out whether it is pointed at a source distro or an install.

> My second question:
> running configure --prefix=/work/xml-security/1.2.1. Then compiling
> will only result in installing the dir named include. It seems like lib
and
> bin are missing here.
> Shouldn't at least lib also be installed in /work/xml-security/1.2.1?

That is not even expected  behaviour.  Let me look at this one a bit
closer.

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.
Peter.Nordlund@elekta.com wrote:

> My first question:
> Is it a correct behaviour to expect the source distro to be present in
> XALANCROOT and XERCESCROOT?
> Shouldn't it be enough with the installed stuff ( in my case the dir
> /work/xalan/1.9.0
> where I have the dirs bin, include, lib.)

It is the expected behaviour - but I'd agree it's not correct.  I will
look at it (probably on the weekend).  Really configure should be able
to work out whether it is pointed at a source distro or an install.

> My second question:
> running configure --prefix=/work/xml-security/1.2.1. Then compiling
> will only result in installing the dir named include. It seems like lib and
> bin are missing here.
> Shouldn't at least lib also be installed in /work/xml-security/1.2.1?

That is not even expected  behaviour.  Let me look at this one a bit closer.

> Best regards,
> Peter
>

> *******************Internet Email Confidentiality Footer*******************
> The contents of this e-mail message (including any attachments hereto) are
> confidential to and are intended to be conveyed for the use of the
> recipient to whom it is addressed only. If you receive this transmission in
> error, please notify the sender of this immediately and delete the message
> from your system. Any distribution, reproduction or use of this message by
> someone other than recipient is not authorized and may be unlawful.

Re: Build issues on RedHat enterprise 4

Posted by Pe...@elekta.com.

Berin,

My original statement was a bitt different, but now when I tried once again
with
xalan 1.10.0 I got exactly the same as you describe: lib is a file, not a
dir.
/Peter

             Berin Lautenbach
             <berin@wingsofher
             mes.org>                                                   To
                                       security-dev@xml.apache.org

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: Build issues on RedHat
             security-dev@xml.         enterprise 4
                apache.org

Peter,

On the second issue - where the include files were installed but not the
library - did you get /work/xml-security/1.2.1/lib created, but where
"lib" was actually a file, not a directory?

I've found that if the directory structure does not exist, the install
breaks after create the library as the "lib" component of the path
structure.

Cheers,
             Berin

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.