Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/10 14:00:07 UTC

Distributed OSGi Discovery implementation in CXF

Hi all,

Over the past while I have done some experimentation around a possible
implementation of the Distributed OSGi RFC 119 Discovery service.

The current CXF-DOSGi codebase only contains the Distribution Software
(DSW) component, which means that you need to configure the location
of your remote services manually. Adding a Discovery service (as
specified in RFC 119) would enable dynamic discovery of remote
services as well.

I've started using Apache Zookeeper as the underlying technology to
implement a Discovery service and at this stage I have it working,
although what I have is not completely finished.

I think this could be a useful addition to the CXF DOSGi codebase, as
together with the DSW code that's already there it would provide the
implementation of the two core parts of RFC 119.
If folks agree that this is useful to have, I can start contributing
this to the http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cxf/dosgi/trunk/discovery
and continue working on it from that location.

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers,

David

Re: Distributed OSGi Discovery implementation in CXF

Posted by Eoghan Glynn <eo...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

This would be a very welcome addition to the distributed OSGi support in CXF!

So please, fire away and commit what you've done so far.

Thanks,
Eoghan

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
2009/4/10 Eoghan Glynn <eo...@gmail.com>:
> 2009/4/10 Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@progress.com>:
>> Would it still make sense to keep the Local Discovery service implementation
>> ? For ex to test against multiple Discovery instances ?
>
> I think we definitely need to keep the local discovery service intact
> in order to support the static remote-services.xml style of
> configuration.
>
> Cheers,
> Eoghan

Yeah - I was planning to leave the local discovery bundle in there for
that reason. So you can use the remote-services.xml static
configuration alongside...

Multible Discovery instances should work fine, but I agree Sergey that
this would introduce a nice test case for it :)

Posted by Eoghan Glynn <eo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@progress.com>.
Hi,

> Hi all,
>
> Over the past while I have done some experimentation around a possible
> implementation of the Distributed OSGi RFC 119 Discovery service.
>
> The current CXF-DOSGi codebase only contains the Distribution Software
> (DSW) component, which means that you need to configure the location
> of your remote services manually. Adding a Discovery service (as
> specified in RFC 119) would enable dynamic discovery of remote
> services as well.
>
> I've started using Apache Zookeeper as the underlying technology to
> implement a Discovery service and at this stage I have it working,
> although what I have is not completely finished.
>
> I think this could be a useful addition to the CXF DOSGi codebase, as
> together with the DSW code that's already there it would provide the
> implementation of the two core parts of RFC 119.
> If folks agree that this is useful to have, I can start contributing
> this to the http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cxf/dosgi/trunk/discovery
> and continue working on it from that location.

+1. It would make the CXf DOSGi implementation much more self-contained and ready to be used out of the box in distributed
environments....

Would it still make sense to keep the Local Discovery service implementation ? For ex to test against multiple Discovery instances ?
cheers, Sergey