Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Randy Terbush <ra...@covalent.net> on 1998/02/08 22:21:30 UTC

IBM-ICS

Does anyone here know anything about this IBM server that seems
to be popping up at a lot of busy websites?

=> telnet www.nagano.olympic.org 80
Trying 204.146.81.1...
Connected to www.nagano.olympic.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 200 Document follows.
Server: IBM-ICS/4.2.1.7
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 21:19:35 GMT
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Vary: *
Last-Modified: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 17:50:13 GMT

Re: IBM-ICS

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Dean Gaudet wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> >
> > > HTTP/1.1 200 Document follows.
> > > Server: IBM-ICS/4.2.1.7
> > > Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 08:01:49 GMT
> > > Accept-Ranges: bytes
> > > Vary: *, Accept, Accept, Accept, Accept, Accept, Accept, Accept, Accept, Accept, Accept, Accept, Accept
> > > Last-Modified: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 17:50:13 GMT
> >
> > Do you think it varies on Accept?  I wouldn't have guessed it if there
> > were only 11 Accept tokens.  I would have totally ignored the * too.
>
> No, no, you fool! What it is trying to tell you is that it'll only vary
> if you include 12 Accept headers.

Oh damn.  Is that what the
draft-ietf-http-http-http-row-row-row-your-boat-00.txt is all about?

Dean

Re: IBM-ICS

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
>
> > HTTP/1.1 200 Document follows.
> > Server: IBM-ICS/4.2.1.7
> > Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 08:01:49 GMT
> > Accept-Ranges: bytes
> > Vary: *, Accept, Accept, Accept, Accept, Accept, Accept, Accept, Accept, Accept, Accept, Accept, Accept
> > Last-Modified: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 17:50:13 GMT
>
> Do you think it varies on Accept?  I wouldn't have guessed it if there
> were only 11 Accept tokens.  I would have totally ignored the * too.

No, no, you fool! What it is trying to tell you is that it'll only vary
if you include 12 Accept headers.

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: IBM-ICS

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

Re: IBM-ICS

Posted by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>.
First of all, even though I work at IBM, I'm not speaking for them
(and I should never be considered to be doing so from this address),
and I know as much about this server as you all do probably.

On Sun, Feb 08, 1998 at 03:21:30PM -0600, Randy Terbush wrote:
> Does anyone here know anything about this IBM server that seems
> to be popping up at a lot of busy websites?

As has been pointed out, IBM's Internet Connection Server. IBM's
running all the computer-related stuff for the Olympics, so guess
which server they'd choose. <g>

> HTTP/1.1 200 Document follows.
[snip]

Cool! What is that supposed to be? Well, it doesn't seem to do this on
a GET request:

GET / HTTP/1.0

Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 08:01:49 GMT
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Vary: *, Accept, Accept, Accept, Accept, Accept, Accept, Accept, Accept, Accept, Accept, Accept, Accept
Last-Modified: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 17:50:13 GMT

Would this behavior be more or less broken than those servers that
treat HEAD exactly like GET? <g>

"The use of others' words to express one's own perceptions shows a dependence
on received wisdom and a lack of integration of the personal philosophy."
  -- The Sophist, "Green Lantern - MOSAIC," Issue #1, June 1992