Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Jeff Burtoft <je...@microsoft.com> on 2014/06/06 22:02:45 UTC

Cordova strategy for Hosted Apps

I have a tool that allows developers to take their web apps and build them into hosted store apps on Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone (8 and 8.1) called the Web App Template<https://wat.codeplex.com/>.  Some of the developers who are using the tool would like to see it go cross platform to Android and iOS, so that the same config file could be used to build hosted apps for the play store and App store just as it is on Windows.
I love the idea of going cross platform, and when I think cross platform, I think Cordova, but after looking through some of the documentation, I'm not sure if it's a good fit.  I'm looking for some direction on these questions:

1.       Does Cordova have "hosted apps" (where the content lives on the server as opposed to being packaged with the app) in its roadmap?  I realize you can do this today on most platforms with a redirect, but it seems to be more of a work around rather than a strategy.

2.       Does it make sense to make Cordova device APIs available to hosted apps?  In general these apps also must function in a browser , so the features would have to be implemented in a progressive enhancement model.

3.       I see a build for Browser<https://github.com/apache/cordova-browser> on the Cordova website.  What are the plans for this build?

Can anyone help clarify some of this?

Thanks,
Jeff Burtoft
--------
HTML5 Evangelist \\ Web Technologies
\\ Microsoft
--------

RE: Cordova strategy for Hosted Apps

Posted by Jeff Burtoft <je...@microsoft.com>.
The origin of the question... I'm trying to figure out where an investment makes the most sense.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Jeff Burtoft <je...@microsoft.com>.

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
Jesse does well answering the queries. Our ideal is to get cordova-browser
somewhere production ready in the coming year.

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jeff,