Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> on 2007/11/14 21:49:10 UTC

Info on syntax highlighting code

Cameron,

would you mind including a note in the legal section of the README file
where the syntax highlighting code is from (incl. URL) and that it's not
the current GPL code from jEdit? Just so there are no misunderstandings.

Thanks a lot,
Jeremias Maerki

Re: Info on syntax highlighting code

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
You're right. The NOTICE file is probably more appropriate. I've seen
that thread on legal-discuss but I really don't have an informed answer
here. Gut feeling: Leave the file header of each file as is but include
a comment below the header indicating if the file has been modified
since it was copied from the original source. Ideally, I'd put the
source code in a different subtree from the main sources (same reason I
don't really like having W3C sources in the same subtree as the Batik
sources: keep code of different licensing sufficiently separate to make
the lifes of people who have to do licensing reviews simpler).

Jeremias Maerki

CCLAs

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au>.
In filling out the IP clearance form[1] for Tonny’s syntax highlighting
component, I’m asked to remind active committers that it is their
responsibility to have a Corporate CLA on file if that is required for
their contributions to be licensed to the ASF.

More information on CCLAs is at http://www.apache.org/licenses/.

Cameron

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html

Posted by Tonny Kohar <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Nov 19, 2007 2:54 PM, Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:

> On 19.11.2007 01:09:24 Cameron McCormack wrote:
> >
> > Could you please submit the software grant form:
> >
> >   http://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt
> >
> > (This can be a scanned copy of the filled-in form e-mailed to
> > secretary@apache.org and legal-archive@apache.org, or by fax to
> > +1.410.803.2258, or by post to the address listed on
> > http://www.apache.org/foundation/contact.html.)
> >
> > Presumably the "Title" field is your position within your company, and
> > "Representing" is for your company name.  And my best guess as what to
> > put in the "Exhibit A" section is something like:
> >
> >   ZIP file of source files at
> >   http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=21128
> >   with MD5 hash xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I just finished fill and email that software grant license to the
secretary@apache.org and legal-archive@apache.org

Cheers
Tonny Kohar
--
Sketsa SVG Editor
imagine, design, create ...

Re: Info on syntax highlighting code

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 19.11.2007 01:09:24 Cameron McCormack wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki:

> Tonny Kohar:
> > I think I signed it before, but if you need it again, just contact me
> > with the requirement, and I will fax it again
>
> Could you please submit the software grant form:
>
>   http://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt
>
> (This can be a scanned copy of the filled-in form e-mailed to
> secretary@apache.org and legal-archive@apache.org, or by fax to
> +1.410.803.2258, or by post to the address listed on
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/contact.html.)
>
> Presumably the “Title” field is your position within your company, and
> “Representing” is for your company name.  And my best guess as what to
> put in the “Exhibit A” section is something like:
>
>   ZIP file of source files at
>   http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=21128
>   with MD5 hash xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Jeremias, could you confirm that this is correct/sufficient?

Perfect!

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
Tonny Kohar schrieb:
[..]

> I tested and compiled under JDK 1.4.2, because I could not download
> JDK 1.3 anymore, since SUN already EOL that JDK and it is no longer
> available for Linux or Windows (only Solaris version is available from
> Sun Java Site)

Although Sun makes it hard to find it's still available at:
http://java.sun.com/products/archive/j2se/1.3.1_19/index.html

--
Christian

Re: Info on syntax highlighting code

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au>.
Jeremias Maerki:

Posted by Tonny Kohar <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Nov 15, 2007 5:04 PM, Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au> wrote:
> > Ok then, I will start test and port it under lower JDK, once it is
> > finish, I will put it to the Batik bugzilla.
>
> Great!

I just uploaded the source code into the bugzilla id= 43871

I tested and compiled under JDK 1.4.2, because I could not download
JDK 1.3 anymore, since SUN already EOL that JDK and it is no longer
available for Linux or Windows (only Solaris version is available from
Sun Java Site)

I also tested it using Squigle Menu - View - View Source and run fine,
I just need to patch the squigle ViewSourceAction a little, by
- Change the JTextArea -> XMLTextEditor
- Change PlainDocument - > XMLDocument

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au>.
Hi Tonny and Jeremias.

Tonny Kohar:
> Yup, you are correct it is the kiyut.sketsa.xmleditor package.
>
> Regarding java 1.3 / 1.4, I am not sure, but I think it will be ok,
> since I am not using any special Java 1.5 or above construct.
> If it indeed use Java 1.5 or above construct, I will change the code
> to make sure it is compilable and run under lower Jdk
>
> Ok then, I will start test and port it under lower JDK, once it is
> finish, I will put it to the Batik bugzilla.

Great!

> Oops, I almost forget, what package change do I need to refactor it,
> is it ok , if I put it under org.apache.batik.xmleditor ?

It doesn’t matter too much; it’s easy for us to change.  Putting it
under org.apache.batik.xmleditor is fine to start off with.

Jeremias Maerki:
> Sorry to have to be a PITA, but depending on the size of Tonny's
> contribution, he may have to go through the IP clearing process:
> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html
>
> A software grant may have to be sent to the ASF and recorded on the
> IP-clearance page. I can help with that. But for now, Tonny, just
> package the stuff and put it in Bugzilla. From there we'll see if
> anything needs to be done. At any rate, your ICLA is on file which is
> good.

OK, thanks for noticing that.

Posted by Tonny Kohar <to...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 15, 2007 3:09 PM, Tonny Kohar <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > There are some issues with the jEdit component that makes it slightly
> > less desirable (weird scrollbar behaviour, a little ugly), but just
> > having downloaded the Sketsa beta, your component looks quite nice.  If
> > you'd be willing to donate the code, we'd be happy to have it!  (The
> > more free software around, the better, right?)  Will your component work
> > on Java 1.3 (or 1.4)?  Is it just the classes in your
> > kiyut.sketsa.xmleditor package?  (If so, then it is smaller than the
> > jEdit component, which is another advantage.)
> >

> Yup, you are correct it is the kiyut.sketsa.xmleditor package.

Correction, it is from kiyut.swing.text.xml package instead, and use
the Java text EditorKit style approach. So it should be usable for any
TextComponent that accept EditorKit eg: JEditorPane

Cheers
Tonny Kohar
--
Sketsa SVG Editor