Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2007/12/12 11:50:50 UTC

Task (WorkEffort) Statuses

Hans has started an effort to expand/refine task statuses in this issue:

I think this is complex enough that a mailing list discussion might be
helpful.

To define the point of this, as I see it, we're trying to create the
most expansive set of statuses we can, in other all statuses that
anyone might need or want for a task. The status transitions can then
take into account that certain statuses don't have to be used, and
those can of course be added or removed during customization, or other
things like SECA services can check constraints of course.

Here's a pass at this (based on the current set of statuses, and some
ideas from Hans in the aforementioned issue):

Roles:
- client
- analyst (task creator/writer)
- task performer
- peer of performer

Statuses:
- Needs Action (initial status, from task creator/writer (analyst))
- Approved (by client)
- Sent (to task performer)
- Accepted (by performer)
- Completed (by performer)
- Tested (scope of task, by performer or peer of performer)
- Reviewed (in perspective of larger scope that task fits into, by
task creator/writer (analyst))
- Changes Needed (failed to go to Tested or Reviewed)
- Accepted (by client)

- Declined (by performer)
- Delegated (by performer)
- On Hold (by client)
- Cancelled (by client)

That's a fairly quick first pass... anyone have any thoughts on other
roles or statuses (ie steps in the process)?

-David

Re: Task (WorkEffort) Statuses

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Hans,

The date sounds good enough to me (even if maybe not as obvious as a task status, but one have to learn how to use what one needs.
In a sophisticaded UI colors may be used... futur...)

Thanks

Jacques

De : "Hans Bakker" <ma...@antwebsystems.com>

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Hi Jacques,

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hans: do you have any thoughts or comments on this? Especially given
that you are the main person working on it now your feedback is very
valuable.

-David

Re: Task (WorkEffort) Statuses, any further comments?

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Can I ask the community to check the last project Task status proposal?
If there are no further comments i will implement the proposal below in
a couple of days in the special component 'project manager'

The final proposal about the project task status was:

The status on a task is largely system controlled (1-4) and user controlled (5-6):
1: unassigned 	-> the task has no performers and has not started.
2: assigned 	-> the task has one or more performers but has still not started
3. in-progress 	-> at least one performer has registered, the task is started
				 time on the task
4. completed	-> all attached performers have set their assign
			status to completed
5. onHold	-> the projectmanager can set this status and
			can be set back to status 1-3
6. cancelled	-> again can be set by the projectmanager

The status of the assignment of a party to the task is manual
controlled:
1. assigned	-> the task is assigned to the party with
			from/thru dates to show when active
2. completed	-> the party has done his part (work,approval,
		  test etc) on the task and has indicated he is ready.

--
http://Antwebsystems.com : OFBiz Quality support for competitive rates.

Re: Task (WorkEffort) Statuses, another view

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I like it, though maybe I would prefer labelling onHold to reviewing.

No end task status (resolved, closed)?  Is it managed at the project or phase level ?

Jacques

De : "Hans Bakker" <ma...@antwebsystems.com>

Posted by Jim Barrows <ji...@gmail.com>.
Ok, then as a manager, I need to rebalance the tasks.  How do I as the
system what is not being worked on?  Just ask for tasks that don't
have a time record, and been accepted?  That could work, but the state
I think works better.
I was thinking, as soon as someone enters time, comments etc, you just
auto move the task to in-process/working-on state.  Not something
that's an extra step.
I can see having more then 2 approvals very easily, as I pointed out.

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Hi Jim,

Posted by Jim Barrows <ji...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Maybe a new task status
-   In Progress (by performer)
between

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Hi David,

I waited a little on my comment because they were already known in the
related Jira Issue. I see however some good points in the others so i
changed my point of view.

first comments on your proposal:
isn't 2 statuses for a performer enough? 1. Received/Completed?
if a task is received, the performer can start on the job, or can reject
it by deleting the assignment or assign it to another person. Even
halfway the task, it can be reassigned and can later return to this same
person. Reporting can be used to see if tasks are over their latest
startdate with not enough or no assignments.

Is client approval before the task can start required? Isn't it so that
tasks are only in a project if the client has approved the initial
customer request or the total project before the start?

As mentioned to a mail to Jacques we need 2 approvals:
1. from the provider tester
2. from the client.

so for me i would like to suggest:
-------------------------------
performer status:
	1. accepted
	2. completed
task status:
	1. created
	2. reviewed(provider) (when all performers are completed)
	3. completed(client)
	4. onhold
	5. cancelled

Regards,