Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2014/04/11 00:23:23 UTC

4.12.1

I'm hopeful we'll approve a FlexJS soon and folks wanting to use an
installer for FlexJS need to use InstallApacheFlex 3.0 which has enough
votes to release, but because it will cause a locale issue with 4.12.0,
we've agreed to delay officially releasing the Installer until 4.12.1 is
released.

I would definitely like to get FlexJS out soon so we can generate some
buzz and hopefully get a few more folks to join us at 360|Flex.

So:
1) Should we close the vote on Installer 3.0 and post it to the release
server and just not announce it or make the switch that auto-upgrades the
Installer?  One potential problem is that if folks then use that installer
to install a regular SDK they may hit this locale issue, although several
folks have used the installer in other locales and did not hit this issue.

2) what else do we want to fix in 4.12.1?  I know Maurice sort of
volunteered to the the RM, but maybe someone else should just cut an RC
for 4.12.1.  I'm thinking we should put the try/catch blocks back in
DataGrid/ADG itemToLabel as described in [1].  I think there is one more I
saw but I can't find it right now.  Any others?

-Alex

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-34218

RE: 4.12.1

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
>Is there anything else you want to get into 4.12.1?
I am working on the GC issue (FLEX-34230)

Maurice

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

RE: 4.12.1

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.

Re: 4.12.1

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Maurice, are you going to look at this again or do you need someone else
to take it?

-ALex

Re: 4.12.1

Posted by Lee Burrows <su...@leeburrows.com>.

RE:4.12.1

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
Yes, I did the fix but not committed yet, as I want to fix the GC issue as well

Re: 4.12.1

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

RE: 4.12.1

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.

Re: 4.12.1

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 4/10/14 10:43 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>> I think we should re-add the try/catch blocks as requested in FLEX-34218
>I rather not if we can avoid it as a) it has worse performance b)
>silently catches and throws away user errors.
OK, maybe you should respond to FLEX-34218 and see what the customer has
to say.

-Alex

Re: 4.12.1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> OK, I'm confused.  I thought the list you provided was bugs that needed to
> be fixed.
It was the list of thinks fixed since 4.12 that we should consider putting in 4.12. I'm not aware of any other issues that MUST be fixed in 4.12 - I think there may of been an IOS7 issue?

>  Whatever is in the repo is going to be 4.12.1.

> I think we should re-add the try/catch blocks as requested in FLEX-34218
I rather not if we can avoid it as a) it has worse performance b) silently catches and throws away user errors.

> One question:  I know you create a whole pile of tasks in JIRA for each
> release.  Do you have an automated way of doing that or is it a manual
> process.
Manual but not too hard - clone a previous JIRA (that will clone it sb tasks as well) and edit.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: 4.12.1

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 4/10/14 4:56 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>>  I can look at FLEX-34132 if you want.
>That's been fixed.
OK, I'm confused.  I thought the list you provided was bugs that needed to
be fixed.  Whatever is in the repo is going to be 4.12.1.  I think we
should re-add the try/catch blocks as requested in FLEX-34218 and crank
out an RC.  I'm just asking around to see if there is anything else that
needs to be or should be done before creating the RC.  Either Maurice or I
will do it.

Re: 4.12.1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Do we have to announce it at the moment we push the bits to dist/release?
24 hours to give time for the mirrors to catch up - if you don't announce it it not really a release IMO.

> Seems like more work.  We'd have to have a separate app id and then we'd
> have two out there to support.  And, its another cycle of voting.
Should require minimal changes == only one or two RCs I would hope.

> I'd say we fix these two and crank out a 4.12.1.  If you can jam anything
> else in there feel free to do so.
Not going to have much time over the next week or so. Currently have a few training courses I running that taking a bit of my time on top of my ordinary work.

Re: 4.12.1

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 4/10/14 4:19 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> I would definitely like to get FlexJS out soon so we can generate some
>> buzz and hopefully get a few more folks to join us at 360|Flex.
>+1 to that.
>
>> So:
>> 1) Should we close the vote on Installer 3.0 and post it to the release
>> server and just not announce it
>If it's a release you need to announce it.
Do we have to announce it at the moment we push the bits to dist/release?

>> One potential problem is that if folks then use that installer
>> to install a regular SDK
>You could release a version of the installer just for FlexJS. All that
>would be needed is a different config file right? I know the whole point
>was to decouple SDK/installer release cycles but it seems a less risky
>option to me and wouldn't require a 4.12.1 release right?
Seems like more work.  We'd have to have a separate app id and then we'd
have two out there to support.  And, its another cycle of voting.

>> 2) what else do we want to fix in 4.12.1?
>
>Here's a couple of important ones:
>FLEX-34209 fix parsing of hours between 12pm and 1pm
>FLEX-34132 stop "[object Object]" from showing in blank columns
I'd say we fix these two and crank out a 4.12.1.  If you can jam anything
else in there feel free to do so.  I can look at FLEX-34132 if you want.

Thoughts?

-Alex

Re: 4.12.1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I would definitely like to get FlexJS out soon so we can generate some
> buzz and hopefully get a few more folks to join us at 360|Flex.
+1 to that.

> So:
> 1) Should we close the vote on Installer 3.0 and post it to the release
> server and just not announce it
If it's a release you need to announce it.

> One potential problem is that if folks then use that installer
> to install a regular SDK
You could release a version of the installer just for FlexJS. All that would be needed is a different config file right? I know the whole point was to decouple SDK/installer release cycles but it seems a less risky option to me and wouldn't require a 4.12.1 release right?

> 2) what else do we want to fix in 4.12.1?

Here's a couple of important ones:
FLEX-34209 fix parsing of hours between 12pm and 1pm
FLEX-34132 stop "[object Object]" from showing in blank columns

And perhaps these:
FLEX-34057 RTE on pasting empty data after Excel operation
FLEX-34133 Fix logic/ADG RTE in columnHeaderWordWrap
FLEX-33421 Broken RequiresLicense metadata
add CONTRIBUTING file

There also a few open bugs that would be nice to go there but they need a fix /patch so best to wait unless next version and not hold up the release.

Thanks,
Justin