Posted to users@nifi.apache.org by Russell Bateman <ru...@windofkeltia.com> on 2019/12/11 18:26:30 UTC

NiFi Registry web documentation broken on Linux for Chrome and Firefox...

Not long upon beginning to read this document, it becomes impossible to
scroll it. Sometimes, backing up to the first page and clicking on a
hyperlink (Starting NiFi Registry, I Started NiFi Registry. Now What?,
etc.) lands you where you want to read and you can scroll, but this is
usually short-lived. The scroll bar elevator is always the same height
as the scroll bar, as if your window height is also the total content
available. Even when you land somewhere and are able to scroll, this
ability will disappear after a little while.

Or, I'm a monkey's uncle. It could be. Maybe my environment?

    $ uname -a
    Linux nargothrond 4.15.0-66-generic #75-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 1
    05:24:09 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    $ cat /etc/os-release
    NAME="Linux Mint"
    VERSION="19 (Tara)"
    VERSION_CODENAME=tara
    UBUNTU_CODENAME=bionic

    Google Chrome: 73.0.3683.103 64-bit
    Firefox:       70.0.1        64-bit

I don't have a perfect handle on the exact behavior, but it is very hard
to read straight through the document. I thought I'd ask if anyone else
has trouble.

Russ

Re: NiFi Registry web documentation broken on Linux for Chrome and Firefox...

Posted by Russell Bateman <ru...@windofkeltia.com>.
Yes.

It turns out to be unique to the NiFi Registry documentation.

For example, if I follow that link in either Chrome or Firefox, I can
scroll to the bottom if I do it right away. A few seconds later,
however, whether I rescroll to the top and back down to the bottom or
just wait for it, suddenly, there is no way to see anything except
what's in the current browser window's displayed content, no way to
scroll, the elevator is long, solid grey, the arrows at top and bottom
of the scroll bar do nothing, etc.

Here I am posting this observation, but I have just discovered that the
scroll bar (on the right-hand side) belongs not to the content, but to
the wide navigational thumb at the left. I can scroll after all as long
as the cursor is in the content region, but if it drifts to the
navigational thumb or I try to use the scrollbar, I cannot scroll.

So, I suppose this behavior is peculiar to whatever framework (I'm a
back-end Java guy) is in use for this set of browser pages. I looked for
other NiFi documents exhibiting this peculiarity, but none exhibit this
problem and none make use of the navigational thumb at the left that the
registry documentation presents (and whose contents are:

- NiFi Registry Documentation
-----------------------------
General
   Getting Started
   User Guide
   Admin Guide

Developer
   REST API)

I thought I'd report this; it's not that important.

Russ

Posted by Ken Swanson <ks...@1904labs.com>.
Russell,