Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Bryce Schober <br...@dpzone.com> on 2003/08/29 19:49:11 UTC

subversion stability?

I've been lurking around on this list for a while now, and I'd like to
hear from both users and devs on the stability of subversion.  I know
it's pre-1.0, but I've heard that it's pushing toward 1.0 pretty well.
Our company would probably never migrate to sub from cvs until 1.0, but
I have no idea what the timeframe is like.  On the status page, I see 3
more incremental releases before beta, but I'm guessing that there are
more to come.  I understand that there's no way I could get a date, but
at least a rough timeframe for subversion stability would be nice, like
3 months, 6 months, a year...  That way I'd have a better idea if I
could be doing some personal testing of subversion to see how much of an
advantage it would have for us over cvs without putting too much time
into something that's unstable...

Thanks,
Bryce Schober

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by digiposs.com]

Re: subversion stability?

Posted by Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net>.
At 12:49 PM -0700 8/29/03, Bryce Schober wrote:
>On the status page, I see 3 more incremental releases before beta,
>but I'm guessing that there are more to come.

No, the intent there is that these are the only incrementals before beta.

>I understand that there's no way I could get a date, but at least a
>rough timeframe for subversion stability would be nice, like 3
>months, 6 months, a year...

Looking over the last couple incremental releases, and the work
listed for these three,  I'm guessing 1.0 some time this calendar
year.

>That way I'd have a better idea if I could be doing some personal
>testing of subversion to see how much of an advantage it would have
>for us over cvs without putting too much time into something that's
>unstable...

It's certainly stable enough for that.  Pick an incremental release
(give it a couple days after it comes out, just to be sure), install
it consistently throughout your test environment, and go for it.  As
you can see from the website, many people (not least the SVN
community itself) have been using Subversion for production work for
quite some time now.  There are some refinements left to implement,
but the major 1.0 feature set is in place; there are some functional
bugs in need of fixing, but not major ones; there are definitely some
performance problems we have ever expectation of fixing--but as long
as you know that, it shouldn't harm your evaluation.

Really, there are only two senses in which Subversion could presently
be called "unstable":

* Until we reach 1.0, we're not guaranteeing interoperability between
arbitrary (intermediate) releases.  If you get into the habit of
updating frequently, then you'll have to update all your machines
pretty much at once.  That's simply a normal "in-development" policy,
though, not a quality problem.  1.0 will be interoperable with all
1.X.

* New stuff continues to appear all the time.  That, too, is a normal
state for code in this state.  But you can check the bug list to see
what new stuff can be expected and when; what you'll find, I think,
is that once again this shouldn't hurt your evaluation any.
--
-==-
Jack Repenning