Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by shubham mulay <sh...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/06 10:13:09 UTC

Opportunity to contribute in Apache Kafka

Hello,

We are a group of students that are currently pursuing our undergraduate
degree in Computer Science from Pune Institute of Computer
Technology(PICT), Maharashtra, India. We will be graduating in June 2017
and are currently in our final year. For our B.E project, we have decided
to work on Distributed Messaging Systems, which is where we stumbled upon
Apache Kafka.

It will be a great learning opportunity for us to work with Apache Kafka
and in turn work with you. We would appreciate if you could steer us
towards the direction of choosing the right topic and working towards
culminating a project in the same, which would be helpful for the community.

Following are the few details which include information about us, which
would help you in making an informed decision:

1) Group Name- TheAtom

2) Group Members:
Shubham Mulay ( shubhammulay@gmail.com )
Faizaan Shaikh ( faizaanshaikh1@gmail.com )
Jainesh Patel ( jaineshp05@gmail.com )

3) We have two mentors working with us, who will be guiding throughout the
process,
Dhruvesh Rathore ( dhruvesh_r@hotmail.com )
Prerit Auti ( preritauti@gmail.com )

4) Development time : 6 to 7 months from Aug '16 to Feb '17.

We would love to hear from you about any ideas that you see fit for us to
pursue and which are feasible in the specified time frame. Hoping to hear
from you soon, and thanking you in anticipation.

Regards,
TheAtom

Re: Opportunity to contribute in Apache Kafka

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.
Hey Shubham,

I'd highly recommend a couple of newbie bugs just to get familiarized (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20KAFKA%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20%22newbie%22%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20key%20DESC
)

After getting familiarized with the project (making contributions, getting
familiar w/ the code base, etc) it'd make sense to discuss concrete
projects. Between core Kafka, Connect, and Streams, there are probably a
few projects that would fit the 6-7 month timeframe. (Personally, I'd also
love to see more system test coverage for various features!)

-Ewen

On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 3:13 AM, shubham mulay <sh...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are a group of students that are currently pursuing our undergraduate
> degree in Computer Science from Pune Institute of Computer
> Technology(PICT), Maharashtra, India. We will be graduating in June 2017
> and are currently in our final year. For our B.E project, we have decided
> to work on Distributed Messaging Systems, which is where we stumbled upon
> Apache Kafka.
>
> It will be a great learning opportunity for us to work with Apache Kafka
> and in turn work with you. We would appreciate if you could steer us
> towards the direction of choosing the right topic and working towards
> culminating a project in the same, which would be helpful for the
> community.
>
> Following are the few details which include information about us, which
> would help you in making an informed decision:
>
> 1) Group Name- TheAtom
>
> 2) Group Members:
> Shubham Mulay ( shubhammulay@gmail.com )
> Faizaan Shaikh ( faizaanshaikh1@gmail.com )
> Jainesh Patel ( jaineshp05@gmail.com )
>
> 3) We have two mentors working with us, who will be guiding throughout the
> process,
> Dhruvesh Rathore ( dhruvesh_r@hotmail.com )
> Prerit Auti ( preritauti@gmail.com )
>
> 4) Development time : 6 to 7 months from Aug '16 to Feb '17.
>
> We would love to hear from you about any ideas that you see fit for us to
> pursue and which are feasible in the specified time frame. Hoping to hear
> from you soon, and thanking you in anticipation.
>
> Regards,
> TheAtom

Ewen

Re: Opportunity to contribute in Apache Kafka

Posted by विश्वासराव साळुंखे <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Shubham and team,

Considering development time,below should be good .

Name: Creating Kafka connector/s
1. Read MySQL binlog and send data to kafka in JSON/Avro.
2. Read MongoDB oplog and send data to Kafka in JSON/Avro.

To start with simple, you can consider single DB node and then add complex
logic of Sharding, multi node structure.

Some Resources to start with:
http://www.slideshare.net/AkashVacher/change-data-capture-using-kafka?ref=https://www.linkedin.com/

https://developer.zendesk.com/blog/introducing-maxwell-a-mysql-to-kafka-binlog-processor

Please let me know if for any further discussion.

Contact Details:
Email: vishwasrao.salunkhe@gmail.com
linked IN : https://in.linkedin.com/in/vishwasrao-salunkhe-4979b311
Twitter: https://twitter.com/vishwasrao1984