Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Robert Dailey <rc...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/24 22:04:31 UTC

Trying to understand how maven finds source

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to understand something basic, I haven't been able to find
the answer through Google surprisingly (maybe my searching abilities
suck today). How is it that Maven is able to find source code to
compile? What I would expect is the pom.xml to refer to some *.java
path (something like <source>src/main/java/*</source>), but I don't
see anything like that.

How does maven know what java source code to compile? Thanks in
advance for any help.

RE: Re: Trying to understand how maven finds source

Posted by ra...@kamradtfamily.net.
I think I speak for most of us when I say: after mastering maven, we find plenty of other things to be newbies at.  So we're all in different instances of the same boat class

--------- Original Message --------- Subject: Re: Trying to understand how maven finds source
From: "Robert Dailey" <rc...@gmail.com>
Date: 10/24/13 1:29 pm
To: "Maven Users List" <us...@maven.apache.org>

Thanks everyone, super helpful information. I'm still learning so I
 appreciate you putting up with my silly newbie questions :)

 I'll try to ramp up on the conventional aspects of maven, that seems
 to be the missing piece.

Posted by Robert Dailey <rc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Robert Dailey <rc...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I'm trying to understand something basic, I haven't been able to find
> the answer through Google surprisingly (maybe my searching abilities
> suck today). How is it that Maven is able to find source code to
> compile? What I would expect is the pom.xml to refer to some *.java
> path (something like <source>src/main/java/*</source>), but I don't
> see anything like that.
>
> How does maven know what java source code to compile? Thanks in
> advance for any help.

Cheers,
Paul

Re: Trying to understand how maven finds source

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On 25 October 2013 06:34, Robert Dailey <rc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to understand something basic, I haven't been able to find

Also, Please have a look at the freely available books at
http://maven.apache.org/articles.html

Re: Trying to understand how maven finds source

Posted by Nick Stolwijk <ni...@gmail.com>.
Maybe it is mustard after the mail (as the Dutch call it. ;) ), but here is
a nice article about the standard directory layout of Maven:

http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-directory-layout.html

Hth,

Nick Stolwijk

~~~ Try to leave this world a little better than you found it and, when
your turn comes to die, you can die happy in feeling that at any rate you
have not wasted your time but have done your best ~~~

Lord Baden-Powell

Posted by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>.
On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 10:34:39PM -0400, Ron Wheeler wrote:
> Eclipse/STS from the Spring guys (VMWare now) is an Eclipse IDE with all
> of the plug-ins that you need to develop Java (and more).
>
> We started with pure Eclipse but spent so much time fixing up the
> plug-ins with each new version that it affected our productivity.
> Once we found the Spring Tool Suite (Eclipse with all the "right"
> plug-ins) we were in good shape - 1 download and we were back up and
> coding in a few minutes.
>
> I have never used NetBeans so I have no comment about how it helps with
> the original problem(source code location).

NetBeans helps quite a lot.  I've been shamefully spoiled by it and
tend to use it even just to browse code when I have no intent to
develop it.  I've used Eclipse (not STS though) and was happy to see
the back of it after losing too much time to plugins-disease.

I hear that IntelliJ is good with Maven projects too.

Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.

Re: Trying to understand how maven finds source

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Eclipse/STS from the Spring guys (VMWare now) is an Eclipse IDE with all
of the plug-ins that you need to develop Java (and more).

We started with pure Eclipse but spent so much time fixing up the
plug-ins with each new version that it affected our productivity.
Once we found the Spring Tool Suite (Eclipse with all the "right"
plug-ins) we were in good shape - 1 download and we were back up and
coding in a few minutes.

I have never used NetBeans so I have no comment about how it helps with
the original problem(source code location).

Ron

Posted by Curtis Rueden <ct...@wisc.edu>.
Hi,

> if I remember correctly Kepler comes with Maven out of the box.

See this chart for which Eclipse packages include Maven integration:

    http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/compare.php?release=kepler

Personally I use the "Eclipse IDE for Java Developers" which comes with
support for both Maven and Git.

Or as Ron said you can use the Eclipse STS bundle (
http://spring.io/tools/sts), which comes with quite a few additional things
too.

Regards,
Curtis

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Robert Dailey <rc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Robert Dailey <rc...@gmail.com>.
Oh I understand now, sorry I thought it was a sample POM or something :-)

Works when I step into my project directory and run it. Thanks!

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Robert Dailey <rc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Laird Nelson <lj...@gmail.com>.

http://about.me/lairdnelson