Posted to dev@tamaya.apache.org by "Oliver B. Fischer" <o....@swe-blog.net> on 2016/04/22 18:52:23 UTC

Features I miss in configuration framework

Hi,

let me explain the background of the following feature requests before I
describe them.

Currently I work in a team which is responsible for quite a lot of
services - I will avoid the term microservices ;-) One problem is the
configuration and the maintenance  of all the different properties.
Sometime we can not be sure if we can remove a property or not. How
should we know if a property is still used or so much the worse a
property is missing.

Especially in legacy environments we sometimes have some properties we
don't know and what they are used for.

Both problems can be solved but it takes time.

This is the moment there Tamaya comes in. I would like to see the
following features in Tamaya.

1. Statistics: It should be possible to retrieve some statistics for a
given property. I would like to "ask" Tamaya how often a property has
been requested.

2. Inline documentation: It should be possible to add a simple comment
to a property as description of the property. The description should be
available via the API.

What do you think about theses possible features? Would they be helpfull
even for you?

Bye,

Oliver

<http://dict.leo.org/ende/index_de.html#/search=especially&searchLoc=0&resultOrder=basic&multiwordShowSingle=on>

--
N Oliver B. Fischer
A Schönhauser Allee 64, 10437 Berlin, Deutschland/Germany

Re: Features I miss in configuration framework

Posted by "Oliver B. Fischer" <o....@swe-blog.net>.
Hi Werner,

of course. And we should try to invite Anatole. The JUG meeting will
start at 7 PM and I think it will take 1 1/2 hours. Should we meet
before or after the meeting? Or during the meeting, which could be
dificult as some of us will take part in the panel discussion.

WDYT?

Oliver

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Hi Oliver,

Posted by Anatole Tresch <at...@gmail.com>.
Hi all

some similar features are already there/started:
- using the model module and injection the injection points are
autodocumenting.
- Metrics can be easily provided and added to the model module by adding an
additional filter, which is aware of any property read.
- Configuration models also allow to validat configuration and provide
descriptions.

Sounds good? I will definitivly also add UI support for the model part, so
we get some kind of autoconfiguration and validation + metrics relatively
easily. Nice thing is also, we can show these features quite good ;)

Nevertheless we should check the functionality in the model part, to see
how good it matches and if there are options to simplify its use even more.
Everybody is welcome to help here.

Overall I currently see three major features for the next release (maybe
even 2 and let one over the over-next one):
- having a UI part that gives visualization of the Tamaya system and its
ocnfiguration, including the possibility to edit config.
- further ellaborate on the documentation and metrics feature, creating
benefits also for integration of Tamaya in existing projects.
- Adding a simple configuration mechanism to configure Tamaya descriptivly
(in logging we have logging.xml, if we can provide a similar simple
mechanism it would be a blast).

So this matches quite good also your ideas/reqs....

J Anatole

--
*Anatole Tresch*
Java Engineer & Architect, JCP Star Spec Lead

*Blogs: **http://maketechsimple.wordpress.com
<http://maketechsimple.wordpress.com/> *
*Twitter:  @atsticks*

Re: Features I miss in configuration framework

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.