Posted to dev@royale.apache.org by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org> on 2017/10/22 18:29:19 UTC

Apache Royale WebSite Preview

Hi All,

here's the propose I've been working this past weeks for the Apache Royale
website.

Disclaimer: Have in mind that is only a propose, not the final site, so
there's more work to do, but first I want to expose the work in progress
and discuss some things about it.

http://royale.codeoscopic.com

(still is the subdomain I've been working on in the final site)

The pages I use to define a style and the ones you can look at:

Home -  http://royale.codeoscopic.com/
Features - http://royale.codeoscopic.com/features/

(again disclaimer: no one is still finished, I put some pieces in play, but
that could not be final at all, or it could be maybe with some changes)

I worked mainly in:

* Menu Organization: That's crucial for a good web site. Look that there's
no submenus. All is directly accesible in all pages of the site.
Main things are in the header main menu (what we want to focus)
Rest are in the footer. I worked specially in this part to get a good
looking but simple menu that will be present though all web site.

* Colors (orange-blue)
* Fonts
* Logo definition (to get clean)
* Apache guidelines (copyrights, links to apache, license....)

To make this I studied :

* Other Apache websites (to see how they did it: Flex, Struts, and so on...)
* Competence websites (how others are doing it mainly in the frameworks
most popular today: Angular, React,...)

As well and of course other well designed and modern websites out there.

Think that I did as well some blender 3d rendering art, but I plan to do
more in the next phase as we discuss content.

Please, take a look at it and let me know what you think.

We can open other thread to discuss about content.

Hope you like it! :)

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Apache Royale WebSite Preview

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Olaf

> Many thanks Carlos for this fresh and modern Royale experience, a really
> awesome work!-

Thanks!

What do you think to mention some concrete Royale features as particular
> cards or whatever at the landing or feature page?
> E.g. features like States, ViewStacks,  Custom components,  Transitions,
> Smart MXML, ...
> Just to provide interested people a quick overview of what Royale has to
> offer.

That will be a great addition for the next step to start working on final
content. Thanks for pointing this! :)

> BTW:
> It seems to me that the font of the word 'Apache' inside the logo of the
> 'About us' section is not the same as the other Royale logos?

in all instances I put google font Aclonica:
https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Aclonica
Maybe is the different finish what seems to be different. I'll be looking
at it in a final pass step on the site to look for fixing things and give
the best and most complete result.

--

<http://www.codeoscopic.com>

Carlos Rovira

Director General

M: +34 607 22 60 05

http://www.codeoscopic.com

Conocenos Avant2 en 1 minuto! <https://avant2.es/#video>

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: Apache Royale WebSite Preview

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Thanks Piotr,
I plan to add a table for each group, now there's users, then dev, and more.
As you say we need to put nabble and I'll asking you for details of this
when I start adding with final content

C.

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Carlos,

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Thanks Om!

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Om,

> Fantastic work, Carlos!
>
> I checked it out on mobile and it looks pretty good there.

Thanks for your words! :)

yes, I put an eye on tablets and mobile, tu set the foundation of all the
work and get a valid skeleton where bring all the content with some kind of
ease.

> I do see a lot of references to Flex in the copy.  Please take a look.

You refer to footer links? I see on on private page only, If there's more
please let me know to what you refer. As things continue to evolve we must
to continue iterating all the content, so maybe you could have some links
to apache flex since some things was directly copied from there.

> Very inspiring 😊

Thanks! :)

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Piotr,

thanks you mate!  :)

> Hi Carlos,
>
> Great work! I really like it! One comment from me is that part of the Top
> menu isn't too good visible. Search, share etc. buttons on the right top
> corner is override by red background.

That's right, but the current main piece is provisional. I would like to
find something that could have more clear reference to our technology, and
then I'll be managing the contrast between menu and background. The actual
background only is to get to this stage and help all to visualize the main
concept.

> As for the Nicolas comment about the content. Once we will start speak
> about that I would be +1 for mention on the main site that people can try
> to use Apache Royale as a migration framework from Apache Flex.
> I don't recall Carlos that we were on the same page with not mentioning at
> all Apache Flex on the website. Your experience is bad, but mine just the
> opposite. People in Poland wherever hear about Flex saying only a good
> things! We have to have something in that matter on the website.

Ok, for this reason is this thread. If more people here think is important
we could have Flex reference, and if we want as well to not have a high
visible relation that could hurt us in the mainstream (not only people
migrating) we can put some content in the web for routing people with
migration in mind. I only say that most of people out there does not know
about flex and other set knows it but although they think it was great,
they think is the past, and we want to let them know we are the future.

Think that is not me (I always was, and continue as a huge Flex advocate),
you can see how flex is in trends mush ups and how people feel about it,
and we want to try to avoid negativity if we can. This new project, the
change of name is all on that direction and we want to attract as many
developers as we can to join us. So for me is only a question of numbers
and deal with the actual reality.

> You would like to attract new user it's great, but since I have started
> work with FlexJS I haven't heard about new people and probably we won't
> until we will have bunch of migrated Flex apps to Royale.

We need to get so 1.0 state and show some amazing demos and talk with
dedicated press to let them know about us, but we must do this in proper
time. For this to happen and to start to generate people trying us we need
various things. For me is: a great default  theme that make demos shine,
Forms, Validation, AMF (finished)... maybe something more. For others could
be another things involved, so people coming, could try us and say
"great!". If people comes and the final feel is not good, we'll lost a
possible user, and not only that, he could talk bad things about us, so
will generate bad press and that would not positive but negative side
effect.

Thanks Piotr!

C.

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Carlos,

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Fantastic work, Carlos!

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
> I don't think so, since Codeoscopic buyed the license already

Just to be clear: You bought the license for the Royale site? Or are you saying that Royale is a “client” of Codeoscopic?

> I think there's an Jekyll exporter too but we need to check it and see how it behaves.

Sounds interesting!

>> 3. What (if any) of the theme can be placed in a public repository to make
>> the main site a non-WordPress one? I imagine we’d need to ask both the
>> publisher of the theme and Apache legal.
>>

> I think we should doesn't do that, since is not what we want, following the
> example exposed before, is like if we use JIRA and for that reason want to
> upload the JIRA code to some of our repos...don't see any reason to do
> that. The site is only for marketing purposes and a tool. The rest: source
> code, binaries, wiki, issues, ... is what we produce and we deliver to our
> users.

What I mean is like this:

Currently, the royale.apache.org <http://royale.apache.org/> is built automatically by committing code here: https://github.com/apache/royale-website/tree/asf-site <https://github.com/apache/royale-website/tree/asf-site>

Ideally, our main site should be editable by folks simply applying a pull request on Github. I’m not clear whether the license for the theme would allow us to do that by adapting the CSS and JS for a static site. The WordPress theme would still be useful as a theme for parts of the site such as a blog (and that would not be on a public repo), but I do think we want consistent styling across everything.

Makes sense?

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Harbs,

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi Carlos,

Very impressive!

The direction is great! Awesome work!

I do have some questions which I think we need to address:

It looks like you used the Movedo WordPress theme for this[1] which is a commercial WordPress theme.

This brings up some questions:

1. Presumably we’d need to buy a license to use it for the project. We’d need to ask exactly what the right procedure is for doing so.
2. Does this lock us into WordPress? Would we be able to use these design elements for a “normal” site?
3. What (if any) of the theme can be placed in a public repository to make the main site a non-WordPress one? I imagine we’d need to ask both the publisher of the theme and Apache legal.

[1]https://themeforest.net/item/movedo-we-do-move-your-world/17923709 <https://themeforest.net/item/movedo-we-do-move-your-world/17923709>

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Nicolas,

> Hi Carlos,
>
> Amazing work !

Thanks! Glad you like it :)

> Some comments / opinions :
>
> Color scheme :
> I believe the chosen contrasting colors are an excellent choice. It is
> very distinctive and very "branding" (I'm not talking about my personal
> taste, but about visual perception) .
> I suggest that this color scheme could be the "default theme" for Apache
> Royale apps (it needs some enhancements like "hovered", "selected"... but
> the base seems quite promising).
> A good "default theme" is important for all of us who build enterprise
> applications where the theme is not a primary concern. We need something
> with strong visual ergonomics, not too fancy... something a CFO will find
> "modern" and "serious").

Yes! I think it's as well very "Apache" since oranges and blues and whites
are very near of what Apache id in some cases, but with some extra energy
and vitality IMHO that makes it to have a positive punch ;)

> Logo
> Quite appropriate and also quite distinctive.
> I'm wondering if the "lines crossing points" should be a small circle
> too...??? The "bridge" does not quite fit the "jewel" concept...

the problem with logo is that I even think in simplified it more since in
the end made me have some problems to insert it in tiny spaces, so I prefer
to simplify instead of insert more things... I even think about other logo,
maybe I could try it another one I have in mind, although don't not if have
the time, and maybe better to continue to get the final 1.0 and maybe later
revisit that.

> Site organization
> Maybe there could be two distinct entries : "tutorials" and " docs" (in
> your sample, "docs" leads to "browse and learn"). Or maybe "docs" should be
> "tutorials and docs".

For me docs should have that: Links to a main tutorial (Getting Started),
wiki, reference, video tutorials, etc...
Is the main point of entry for people that wants to learn Royale.

> Maybe there should be an explicit entry "from flex to apache royale" since
> we expect many people will come to Apache Royale while searching for a
> migration path.
> That entry should lead to "migration related" docs. I believe many people
> coming from Flex are interested in a global overview of the migration
> process and that deserves a dedicated entry.

I expressed in other threads that we should avoid "Flex" word and
references as much as we can. We want to have a new opportunity and other
people has express me "how much we need a change of name, look and
more...". This days Flex word is "cursed" on IT or at least is my
experience. So maybe Flex references could be done is something more
separated from us, maybe in other web, blog, etc...

In the other hand, people that nows Flash, Flex, AIR etc... we'll know us
and if they want to use Royale to migrate we'll do without the need to read
in our site nothing about Flex.

That's my opinion and thought in what I think we should do in marketing
terms if we want to compete with angular, react, and the rest

> Maybe the "features" page should mention AS3,  MXML, Javascript ? (that
> would help people searching with those keywords) (I saw that these are
> mentioned on the home page, but maybe it's worth mentioning it again on the
> features page).

Yes, we can do it as we want, the content here is still to be defined and
done. I think we need more "blocks" covering the great things we can do
"Maven, AMF, ....

> Maybe the "features" page - or even the home page - should mention that
> Apache Royale allows developing applications in AS3/MXML *without the need
> for Flash Player* ? (that is certainly something many people are looking
> for !!!). Furthermore, maybe the features page should explicitly talk about
> "Flex replacement" ?
> Maybe this raises legal issues ? But if it is possible, I believe this
> should be mentioned in at least one place because it would get a lot of
> "hits" from search engines.
> FP end of life is certainly an issue for many people.

Right! Without doubt! thanks! :)
(don't think we have any problem with FP legal)

> Maybe the term "framework" should be used ?

I prefer "technology" over "framework", since is a compiler, 2 languages,
and a framework, but we can see what others think about it, maybe more an
SDK, although does not like that word too much since others like Angular or
React are more simple, and we need to expose the thinking of great ease of
development, and maybe and SDK sounds more complicated...mmm...is a
question of "feelings" here for me.

> Something weird :
> On my browser (Firefox), on the features page, the "Enterprise class
> programming model" block (the title + the text) seems to move slightly
> before "finding its final location"...???
> This appears each time the mouse hovers that block...

Yes, is an effect given by the theme, we can remove them or make It more
noticeable. works when moves the mouse over the page.

> Side note :
> The choice of "Royale" as a framework name is not bad I itself.
> However, it produces *lots* of noise when searching with google.
> I suggest that "royale" should **never** be used alone (web site, docs,
> tutorials, blogs, wiki...) but **always** associated with Apache ("Apache
> Royale").

Right, is what the apache rules said, so we must do as it. in the other
hand is normal since internet has many, many info nowadays for almost
anything you can search ! :)

> That would make google searches much more efficient and usable (provided
> the users know that Royale is an Apache project !!!).
> This should also be enforced on 3rd party sites (like StackOverflow).

great! I think we should add an Stackoverflow link as we have some content
there as well ;)

> The whole community should always use "Apache Royale" and never use
> "Royale" alone.
>
> My 0.02 euro !

Many thanks Nicolas! :)

Posted by Idylog - Nicolas Granon <ng...@idylog.com>.
Hi Carlos,

Amazing work !

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi,

thanks for your words! I'm with you that something like blog flexexamples
would be of great help. In fact I was tempted to do that some months ago,
but lots of thing going on doesn't allow me to do it. I think we could make
something like that in the blog part, or making a new type (in WP is a
custom post type) that has it's own data. But I'm with you that we should
do something like that, since it will make more people join due to exposing
the ease in that little post with code snippets.

Thanks!!

Carlos

Posted by gkk gb <mo...@comcast.net>.
Love the logo, as is. Love the fresh, modern, distinctive feel/colors/fonts of the website. Amazing job Carlos, really!!!

I'm not a software expert, but I needed to create an extensive enterprise web app years ago, and what initially drew me to Flex was the availability of (1) extensive components to build an app, and (2) a web/blog (http://blog.flexexamples.com/about-me/) to help me learn Flex fast and easy by example (I can't overemphasize how valuable Peter's blog was for someone like me to become productive fast).

From a website perspective, anything you can do to help folks explore (1) and (2) above should go a long way to expanding the community.