Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2006/02/17 01:00:39 UTC

[Struts Wiki] Update of "FrankZammetti" by MichaelJouravlev

Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by MichaelJouravlev:
http://wiki.apache.org/struts/FrankZammetti

The comment on the change is:
Orphaned; offtopic (personal information)

+ deleted
- ##language:en
- Frank W. Zammetti

- Email: [[MailTo(fzammetti@omnytex.com)]]
-
- Here's to hoping I don't break the whole Wiki... I have virtually no idea what I'm doing right now :)
-
- So, in short, I am a developer with a major financial institution in the eastern U.S.  I also have my own business on the side doing PocketPC development... not that you would care about that being as this is the Struts Wiki! :)
-
- I have made a couple of submissions to various Commons projects that have made their way into the latest versions in the sandbox (see Commons IO FileSystemUtils and Commons Servlet RequestUtils and SessionUtils).  I am also an active participant on both Struts mailing lists, both helping other users and trying to contribute as best I can, and of course learning myself!
-
- I have made two contributions to Struts, and although they were not accepted for addition to Struts itself, they are being used...
-
- One is StrutsWS, or The Struts Web Services Enablement Project (but that sounded too grandiose, so I now simply call it StrutsWS).  It is an extension that allows an existing Struts-based applications to be exposed as Web Services with NO changes to the existing code.  It isn't the final word in Web Services by any stretch, but people have found it useful when asked to expose portions of an existing application as a service in a hurry.  For details and download see http://sourceforge.net/projects/strutsws/
-
- I've also recently posted a proposal, with patches and an example application, of something called setupItems.  This allows you to do things like this in your struts-config.xml:
-
- <action path="/test5" type="com.omnytex.setupexample.action.TestAction" parameter="method">
-   <setupItem setupClass="com.omnytex.setupexample.setups.SetupClass1" setupMethod="setupMethod1" />
-   <forward name="defaultForward" path="/result.jsp">
-     <setupItem setupClass="com.omnytex.setupexample.setups.SetupClass2" setupMethod="setupMethod1" />
-   </forward>
- </action>
-
- This will result in SetupClass1.setupMethod1() being executed BEFORE execute() of the TestAction is called, and then SetupClass2.setupMethod1() being called AFTER execute() returns *if* defaultForward is selected.  The point of course is to allow for setup-type functionality to be performed when moving to a new page (although you could do anything you wish with this, not mearly setup tasks, although that is the real intent, hence the name).  For example, if you have a dropdown on a number of different pages of a site that each has the same content (a list of U.S. states for instance), you might create a method in a class that returns an ArrayList for the contents of the dropdown.  Any time you forward to a page that needs that content, you can execute that setup method to get it (maybe read from a database).  It is all declarative, so there is no cluttering up of your code, it's just some simple additions to your config file.  You can execute as many of these "setup methods
 " as you want per action or forward (local or global).  If this interests you, see http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?cmdtype=runnamed&namedcmd=setupItems%20%28Struts%29 for full details and everything you need, including a full sample application, available for download.  P.S., I am hoping to add a Wiki entry specifically for this, but first I have to figure out how! :)
-
- That's it for now.  Have fun boys and girls!
-
- ----
- CategoryHomepage
-