Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org> on 1997/07/08 04:48:19 UTC

suspended PRs

Here is a list of suspended PRs which contain patches.  I'm voting on the
concepts.  If any of them get enough support then me or someone else can
make them up into patches against 1.3 and commit them.

+1:

41	Diffs to add relational (<,>,<=,>=) string tests to mod_include.

73	reporting of referer in error_log
    The patch is kind of broken -- it should only issue a single
    fprintf, multiple calls lead to interleaved log messages.

78	Additional status for XBitHack directive
    Adds "XBitHack FullNegated" to invert the meaning of xbithack full.

537	mod_access syntax allows hosts that should be restricted
    Require a leading . to cause wildcarding.  i.e.  .foobar.com is
    wildcarded, but foobar.com isn't.

759	imap should read <MAP><AREA>*</MAP> too!
    mod_imap needs a total rewrite (see PR#7 for example).  But this is
    a good feature.

+0:

258	I would like to do: ln -s http://www.somesite.org/foo.html foo.html
	and have it work.
    I'm not 100% against this, but I don't like it.  It doesn't
    really add anything imho.

557	~UserHome directories are not honored in absolute pathname requests
	(.htaccess)
    The patch presented makes pfopen() grok ~ expansions.  I'm not sure
    this is a Good Thing.  But what the user is attempting to do is
    useful.

-1:

385	Support for comment area in active configuration lines
    The patch is broken.  Consider <Files ~ /#>, used to match files
    beginning with #.

Re: suspended PRs

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Here is a list of suspended PRs which contain patches.  I'm voting on the
> concepts.  If any of them get enough support then me or someone else can
> make them up into patches against 1.3 and commit them.

I don't like committing patches based on +1s on concepts.  More on actuals
when I get time, just a few quick comments for now...

> +1:
>
> 41	Diffs to add relational (<,>,<=,>=) string tests to mod_include.
>
> 73	reporting of referer in error_log
>     The patch is kind of broken -- it should only issue a single
>     fprintf, multiple calls lead to interleaved log messages.

+1 on this one, but not the patch.  My question is: is it worthwhile to
keep the format the same as NCSA uses?

> 78	Additional status for XBitHack directive
>     Adds "XBitHack FullNegated" to invert the meaning of xbithack full.

I'm not overly happy with this.  It is getting so ugly...

> 537	mod_access syntax allows hosts that should be restricted
>     Require a leading . to cause wildcarding.  i.e.  .foobar.com is
>     wildcarded, but foobar.com isn't.

I like the change, but worry about the impacts...

> 759	imap should read <MAP><AREA>*</MAP> too!
>     mod_imap needs a total rewrite (see PR#7 for example).  But this is
>     a good feature.

A very total rewrite.  There are still a couple of possible infinite loops
in there too...

> +0:
>
> 258	I would like to do: ln -s http://www.somesite.org/foo.html foo.html
> 	and have it work.
>     I'm not 100% against this, but I don't like it.  It doesn't
>     really add anything imho.

Intersting idea.  Still thinking but, like you, I am worried about it.

> 557	~UserHome directories are not honored in absolute pathname requests
> 	(.htaccess)
>     The patch presented makes pfopen() grok ~ expansions.  I'm not sure
>     this is a Good Thing.  But what the user is attempting to do is
>     useful.

Like the concept, have to think about implementation.

> -1:
>
> 385	Support for comment area in active configuration lines
>     The patch is broken.  Consider <Files ~ /#>, used to match files
>     beginning with #.

I don't particulary see this as worthwhile, but I will think about it...

Re: suspended PRs

Posted by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com>.
On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> multiviews/mod_neg promote cache badness.  The hack promotes cache
> goodness.  I'm in favour of caches.

mod_expires is your friend.

Re: suspended PRs

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
multiviews/mod_neg promote cache badness.  The hack promotes cache
goodness.  I'm in favour of caches.

Dean

Re: suspended PRs

Posted by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com>.

Re: suspended PRs

Posted by Paul Sutton <pa...@ukweb.com>.
On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> 41	Diffs to add relational (<,>,<=,>=) string tests to mod_include.
+1

> 73	reporting of referer in error_log
+1 with a new patch

> 78	Additional status for XBitHack directive
>     Adds "XBitHack FullNegated" to invert the meaning of xbithack full.
+0 I don't believe in xbithack

> 537	mod_access syntax allows hosts that should be restricted
>     Require a leading . to cause wildcarding.  i.e.  .foobar.com is
>     wildcarded, but foobar.com isn't.
+1 on concept, but -1 on using this patch which would cause lots of
compatibility problems.  We need a new syntax to distinguish where partial
matching is disallowed. How about making the hostname a regex, or would
that be too slow?

> 759	imap should read <MAP><AREA>*</MAP> too!
>     mod_imap needs a total rewrite (see PR#7 for example).  But this is
>     a good feature.
+1 on rewrite or this patch

> +0:
> 258	I would like to do: ln -s http://www.somesite.org/foo.html foo.html
> 	and have it work.
>     I'm not 100% against this, but I don't like it.  It doesn't
>     really add anything imho.
+1 we already treat the file system like a database for storing content
and URL mappings, so why not add this?

> 557	~UserHome directories are not honored in absolute pathname requests
> 	(.htaccess)
>     The patch presented makes pfopen() grok ~ expansions.  I'm not sure
>     this is a Good Thing.  But what the user is attempting to do is
>     useful.
+1 on the idea

> 385	Support for comment area in active configuration lines
>     The patch is broken.  Consider <Files ~ /#>, used to match files
>     beginning with #.
-1

//pcs