Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Ed Korthof <ed...@apache.org> on 1999/10/20 02:30:01 UTC

RE: mod_jserv/5172: Out of Memory exception at org.apache.jserv.J ServConnection.processRequest

The following reply was made to PR mod_jserv/5172; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ed Korthof <ed...@apache.org>
To: Thomas Fleischmann <tf...@decisive.com>
Cc: "'apbugs@Apache.Org'" <ap...@Apache.Org>, jserv-bugdb@apache.org
Subject: RE: mod_jserv/5172: Out of Memory exception at org.apache.jserv.J
 ServConnection.processRequest
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 17:26:24 -0700 (PDT)

 The exception occurs because there isn't enough memory for JServ to alloc
 objects which it needs as part of request processing.  Given the
 description below, I'd guess that your servlet has a fairly large memory
 footprint -- so that under high load, when there are too many simultaneous
 instances of it, the servlet takes up as much memory as it can get and
 then fails silently when it tries to process one too many requests.
 JServ doesn't fail silently, and you get this error.

 The things which you can do include increasing the available memory to the
 JVM; throttling requests so that you'll serve at most N simultaneous ones;
 and reducing the memory usage of your servlet. The best place to discuss
 this is on the JServ user's group; someone there may be able to give you
 useful advice.

 hth --

 Ed